Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only bottom part of can removed...

BTW All these are clickable thumbnails.. Just click for a big version!

[ This message was edited by: MNSpintST on 2006-11-11 22:20 ]

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Metal screen removed from rear 2/3.

This revealed alot about the inner workings of the muffler and cats.

The two large pipes house a cat in each..

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Detail shots of cat pipes and the oval pipe.

Exhaust flows out the cats in parallel and makes a u turn.

It then passes under the oval pipe and makes another U turn at the backside of the front most bulkhead. It flows thru the oval pipe to the last chamber with the three outlet pipes in it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front metal mesh panel removed.

A good shot of the inlet and the inlet two the two cats and why two large diameter ones are used.. Look at how much of the tube the catalyst takes up..

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exit of cats and exit of the oval pipe.

Same thing but better angle.

[ This message was edited by: MNSpintST on 2006-11-11 21:57 ]

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Conclusion.

The stock muffler is a restrictive heavy pig that cooks your ass because they put a catalytic converter pretty much under each cheek of your bloody bum...

It is built pretty sturdy.. I drlled out a few spot welds, ground it to thin the seam weld (perimeter of halves) then split it with a air hammer bit that I tweaked to match the shape of the seam and to split it just right...

I also just cut across the back 1/8th or so that I did not need to cut around each outlet pipe..

I have plans now as how to alter things inside to create awesome flow, lighter weight, better sound and alot less heat...

Catalytic conveters get hot and stay hot... In fact the hotter they are (unless melting hot) the better they work... The need to go... The OEM should have put the cat converters at or past the collector not under the seat in the muffler

[ This message was edited by: MNSpintST on 2006-11-11 22:23 ]

·
Registered
259 Posts
MNSprintST:

Excellent and very educational job. Thanks so much for sharing all your good work with us. I KNEW my poor ass was being cooked by those converters.

I just bought the TOR off an Ebay auction and I trust all the cats have been removed from the TOR model.

Anybody know for sure?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are no cats in the OR pipe.

I'm not being cocky but I think my tricks will out flow a OR pipe.

If anyone in the MN area has one unmounted I'd like them to meet me at the flowbench. This way I can flow test a stock, my modded and a off road to have a accurate test of all of them.

·
Registered
259 Posts
As soon as I have the TOR installed, I'll send along my stocker for a test if you like. Just let me know.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
On 2006-11-11 22:06, MNSpintST wrote:
The OEM should have put the cat converters at or past the collector not under the seat in the muffler
Ahhh, your next dissection project.
You will find a precat in the header assembly downstream of the O2 sensor and upstream of the upward bend and flange. You can see the welds that hold it in the tube.

I believe the NZ/AUS machines have no cats.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First off..

I have a stock I can flowbench... Its still on the bike..

Ahhh, your next dissection project.
You will find a precat in the header assembly downstream of the O2 sensor and upstream of the upward bend and flange. You can see the welds that hold it in the tube.

Hmm...

Time to get a collector and collector to muffler pipe from a bike salvage place.

Mostly to get the fitment right for my own collector and up pipe.

A bigger inlet is going on the muffler, bigger outlets and a better collector w/o the precat...

·
Registered
939 Posts
To my knowledge they are the same. When I was buying my new Sprint I quizzed the dealer on this very subject, he said they had 3 cats, 1 in the header and two in the muffler. This is one of the main reasons I had an after market muffler made up. *** do they they put cats on motorcycles anyhow? World has gone crazy on this greenie stuff. :???:

·
Registered
489 Posts
*** do they they put cats on motorcycles anyhow? World has gone crazy on this greenie stuff. :???:
The cats are there to comply with EU regs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So you are going to modify your stocker to get it to flow better. I assume if you are sucessful, then you will have to remap the ECU? Can you make your own map...or are there only two maps available. One for the stock pipe, and one for the TOR pipe. I appreciate your work on this. I don't know diddly about such things.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eventually I will probably have a motec... The stock ECU + tuneboy will do it for me..

I could even go to a dynojet dyno site and do this..

Tuneboy TuneEdit with dynojet tune link.

I'll probably just reprogram with tuneboy based on what datalogs of my wideband o2 is telling me.

Ultimately a Motec runing closed loop wideband will be the best system..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts