Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to motorcycles, took the safety course, bought a used 2011 Speedmaster (2000 miles), and love it. My question is about the stock round mirrors. I know there are inherently blind spots when you use side mirrors; however, these round mirrors have a much larger blind spot that I was expecting (in all my vast experience of 2 weeks). I was riding the other day and knew a car was there since I watched him drive into the blind spot, then I did a "shoulder check" and couldn't see him even though I knew he was there. I had to crank my head around quite a bit to see him, which seemed abnormal (subsequently some right hand twisting fixed the situation by putting him back where I could see him). I was thinking about buying some new oval or tear drop mirrors to hopefully alleviate this problem, but was wondering if that's just how it is on a bike and you need to turn quite a bit to check. I don't mind the so called "mickey mouse" mirrors, but mostly just care about seeing better. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I replaced my stock mirrors with the V-Max mirrors from Fast Eddy. http://www.fasteddysports.com/?page_id=3&product_id=47 Made a world of difference for me. The round mirrors have a nice retro look if that's what you're going for but these mirrors provide me with a much better view of what's behind me. Still always good to do a full shoulder check before changing lanes or turning as there will still be a blind spot but after you ride a little more you'll become more comfortable with seeing cars pulling up behind you and knowing they are in your blind spot just like you described. These mirrors are much cheaper than the other options I found and I think they look great on the bike. Simple install too as they just screw on. I have a 2006 Speedmaster so I'm not sure if the mirror stems are bent differently on the 2011s but on my '06 these stick out much further past my shoulders to really open up the field of view.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If your mirrors are adjusted properly, there really aren't blind spots, unless you're in a semi-truck or have really small mirrors, but stock are not small. Most people adjust the mirrors too far in on themselves and thus have blind spots.

Try pushing the mirrors out more so you can see what is on your 8-7-6 and 4-5-6 instead of just your 6. You don't need to see yourself in the mirrors (you know you're on the bike I hope) so focus on whats out to the side and behind you. If they are adjusted properly, you can lean forward and extend your view too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
[Sayantsi;2383523] If they are adjusted properly, you can lean forward and extend your view too.]

Yes I think the same, BUT have been looking at new mirrors only as a other speedmaster ride I know reconds the micky mouse stock mirror give the rider wind buffing off mirror backs,

(we both have Dart sized screens I still get wind buffing, he same size screen BUT different mirrors and reconds he gets no wind buffing)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Same problem

I had the same problem so I purchased mirror adaptors that raised and pushed the mirrors out around 1” see picture made a world of difference

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think Sayantsi is spot on regarding adjustment. IMHO a blind spot on your tail light is preferable to one on your flank as the guy immediately behind is less of a danger to you.
I have the triumph oval cruiser mirrors and find that they offer a good panorama and look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts