Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between igniters for the different models of T3's? For instance, is the part number 1290075 interchangeable with the 12900060?

Just curious.

Ditto

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
California model is 1290075 for. I believe it has a 1000 rpm lower red line IIRC.

·
Registered
167 Posts
T3 igniters are interchangeable between models without a problem.

If you get a chance them see if you can get a PVL 1290004 igniter as these came on the very early triumphs and fitted both the 750 and 1000 short stroke engines plus the longer stroke 900 and 1200.

This is the one with the little blue loop wire that you can cut so it`s in short stroke configuration, fit to your 900 or 1200 longer stroke engine and you`ll have a rev limited that kicks in at 11,000rpm :D

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
rev limit and advance are different between 1200 Trophy and Daytona ignitors. A Daytona 1200 ignitor will feel 'good' on a Trophy, seat of the pants dyno :)

I would expect the same for the 900 ignitors for 900 Trophy/ Super III and 900 Daytona. Haven't delved into it yet on the 900's

ps I never played with any Cali spec bikes...

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Trophies got the same igniters as Daytonas for most of the run. Looks like they wussified the Trophy motor at serial number 45788.

Same goes for the others: Daytona, Speed Triple, Sprint, Trident, & Trophy mostly share the same igniter up to 45777.

The Super III has a different igniter.

Some models list a different igniter for serials 4902 & below, but IIRC the parts fiche usually say that those early igniters have been superseded.

Some markets have different igniters, mostly US CA.

There is a reason the long stroke motors are limited to 9700 RPM. The "free" horsepower that comes with moving the limiter to 11000 actually comes at the cost of much higher chances of catastrophic failure. My tach was showing over 10k shortly before my motor seized. (Not sure why, as I never upped the rev limit, but that's what I saw.)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As usual, great info guys.

Ditto

1 - 6 of 6 Posts