Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across this bike on Craigslist recently and the owner insists these are Triumph handlebars, stock from the factory. Has anyone seen this? How hard would it be to swap in something else?

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The bike looks lovely and I suspect those bars/riding position would suit me perfectly, however, if you're looking to change bars, it's always easier to go from higher bars (longer cables) to lower bars (shorter cables) as it's far easier to hide excess wire than lengthen it.

In very simple terms it would require bars, shorter brake line, shorter clutch cable (both of which should be easily obtainable either from Triumph or aftermarket) and a couple of hours waving spanners

·
Registered
88 Posts
Greetings and welcome. This looks like a 2009 or 2010 Bonneville SE. These do not look like the bars that come with this bike, believe the original bars are lower. Swapping the bars it is not hard just look for what you want, size is either 22mm or 7/8". I have a 2011 SE and have tried 2 other bars before the ones I am happy to have now. Only problem with other bars is that they are not drilled for the controls, you need to decide how to deal with this. I got rid of the pins and happy others drill the new bars. Where are you located?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2010 SE, the price is withing striking distance for me but the owner claims it is 100% stock and that it came from the factory with these bars - something I haven't come across in any of my research. I was wondering if this was a factory option or.....?

I'm in Whistler, BC Canada.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Not like my 2015 stock bars. Probably extended cables as well. I knew I guy who did this to his SE. Some like them.
Anyway, getting stock bars should be easy enough here in the classifieds. If you need shorter cables, might have to get them from Triumph.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Those look exactly like the western bars I bought from Bella Corse a few years back. For those of us with musclo-skeletal problems they are much easier on the bod.

·
Driftless Admin
11,774 Posts
Not those exact ones. The SE has 7/8 handle bars and those are the 1 inch from the T-100 line. But similar for sure. Aren't the western's wider and flatter than these Coach? I suppose from pics it's hard to tell. I can't find anything more similar though, so you might be right.

They look well installed, the cables and brake lines don't look taught. The definitely are not original, but I'm not sure that should matter. If they are comfortable for you @rrmiller they shouldn't be a deal breaker.

There several after market parts on that bike, perhaps the dealer installed some stuff at or before the sale, including the bars?

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
The owner might have a credibility problem if he insists those are the stock handlebars. I'd ask him to explain the dent in the tank.

I'd also ask if the valve check/adjustment has been done, and if so, to produce some evidence of it. If it hasn't been done, it's overdue, expensive to have a dealer do it, and tedious and a bit tricky to do yourself.

If the tires are original, you'll need to replace them. And ask how old the battery is.

All these can be used to knock down the price. Assume $500 for the valve adjustment, $300-$400 for tires, and $100 for the battery. Maybe more in Canada.

Reactions: Ridgy and rrmiller

·
Registered
93 Posts
The right tank pad looks a little wonky, did that model with knee pads? I'd look under that pad to see what the tank looks like.

I would pass, but I really hate dented tanks (and they're not cheap to replace).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I opted to pass, too many question marks on this one.
Saving my money for the next one, anyone got a Thruxton 900 for sale in Vancouver BC for about $6000 CAD?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I opted to pass, too many question marks on this one.
Saving my money for the next one, anyone got a Thruxton 900 for sale in Vancouver BC for about $6000 CAD?
You might want to broaden your search area to and use Kijiji or whatever works best out there. I would not discount looking in Washington State too because importing a used one should not be an issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts