Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Thanks for the replies to my earlier post... a new battery got my bike running again in no time :)

I have another problem with it, wonder if anyone can help ?
After riding this bike for any distance, I stink of exhaust fumes. If I have a rucksack on, then it's even worse.
Any ideas ?
I wondered if it might be running rich.
It's a 2005 1050, with 8,000 miles on the clock. Burns very little oil, no smoke at exhausts, but they are a bit dark.
Happens at both high and low speeds. Also, I've had standard cans and open (no baffle) Trident cans on it and the problem is the same.

I bought the bike second hand, so don't know what "tune" it has. I've done about 4,000 miles on the bike and this problem has always been there.
Waddya reckon ? A different tune ? Set up on a dyno ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
74 Posts
rich is a possibility. can you pull the plugs to look at the tips??

Hi there,

Thanks for the replies to my earlier post... a new battery got my bike running again in no time :)

I have another problem with it, wonder if anyone can help ?
After riding this bike for any distance, I stink of exhaust fumes. If I have a rucksack on, then it's even worse.
Any ideas ?
I wondered if it might be running rich.
It's a 2005 1050, with 8,000 miles on the clock. Burns very little oil, no smoke at exhausts, but they are a bit dark.
Happens at both high and low speeds. Also, I've had standard cans and open (no baffle) Trident cans on it and the problem is the same.

I bought the bike second hand, so don't know what "tune" it has. I've done about 4,000 miles on the bike and this problem has always been there.
Waddya reckon ? A different tune ? Set up on a dyno ?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
It's a great smell, isn't it??? As for the wives, better they notice that than your secretaries perfume!:)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I always get the same complaint... I usualy notice it worse if i get stuck behind others more often. If i am out riding around on all country backrounds and dont see another vehicle i dont get the smell so bad or at all.... anyone else notice this phenomenon?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have an '03 and I've noticed that I stink like exhaust every time I come home from a ride, long or short, city or country. It's just part of it. My eyes tend to burn, too, but I'm a sissy.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Maybe it's not your bike, but the cars in front of you? I'd think that the exhaust would go behind you and not stick on you, as long as you're not sitting still a ton...

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you go to the stealer and have the proper tune uploaded it may help, cost me about $45. It's not going to fix it though.

My understanding is this phenomenon is worse on bikes with underseat exhaust. If you've ever driven a pick-up truck with leaves in the bed you'll notice a weird thing happens. At speed, the leaves start swirling around and even come in through your back window. This vortex of air occurs behind us on the bike and pulls some exhaust fumes right onto our back as it exits right behind you.

I've heard people riding newer sportbikes with underseat exhaust complain about it too because it was never so bad on their older bikes with regular side exhaust.

·
Registered
453 Posts
redl1nerpm,
That's actually a very good thought. I don't have an underseat exhaust but I've got a high mount, and so it's only probably about 4-6" off center.
It doesn't really matter if I follow alot of traffic or a buddy on a bike, I always smell the same! I don't care, it's endearing and reminds me for the next couple hours why I got out of bed to go to work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I will get a faint smell from my bike but nothing bad.

its just normal. Same smell i use to get riding anything else as a kid

IE Snowmo,4wheeler, dirt bike. This is less then that from my speedy.

I kinda like it. Its so faint that it only waf's off me at just the right angle

;)

mmmmm reminds me of freedom!

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you go to the stealer and have the proper tune uploaded it may help, cost me about $45. It's not going to fix it though.

My understanding is this phenomenon is worse on bikes with underseat exhaust. If you've ever driven a pick-up truck with leaves in the bed you'll notice a weird thing happens. At speed, the leaves start swirling around and even come in through your back window. This vortex of air occurs behind us on the bike and pulls some exhaust fumes right onto our back as it exits right behind you.

I've heard people riding newer sportbikes with underseat exhaust complain about it too because it was never so bad on their older bikes with regular side exhaust.
Exactly..

With the standard high cans I was always had that eau de combustion smell.

Now with the low mount Arrow, that smell just comes from everyone else on the road.. And diesel doesn't attract even the loneliest ladies.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have both a Daytona and a Ducati 1098. The daytona tends to give more of that petrol smell than the underseat exhaust of the 1098. Maybe it is a Triumph thing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Same thing on my '00 with a high mount. Brought it to the dealer and everything checked ok. They reloaded the tune and it did nothing for the stink. Now I just deal with it. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
The easiest solution is to stop thinking of smell in the negative.... embrace the stench! I love stepping into my garage after a long ride and being hit the nose with a smorgasbord leather, exhaust, and various carcinogenic vapors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts