Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll need the lower triple clamp and steer tube from a T150/160 - can anyone tell me the length of the '73 and up T150/160 steer tube and of the T140? I'm looking at this set on ebay, but the seller doesn't know which model it's from...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270991802778?item=270991802778&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Also, I'll need a better brake caliper than the stock T140 Lockheed single piston Anyone know of a later 2-piston caliper that might fit, or adapt easily to my T140 forks/hub?
thanks

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
First of all, the Triumph/Lockheed calipers are two piston units, I don't know where you got the idea from.

I think that you can add brembo's to a T140 but not sure if it's a straight swap.

The standard T140 brake is more than capable of locking the front wheel. How fast are you thinking of going?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello Dave - thanks for the reply. To clarify, I didn't say that my T140 caliper was a single piston one - just asked about later two piston ones. I should have said later ones that would be lighter in weight. The Lockheed one I have is cast iron and is really heavy - I can save several pounds of unsprung weight with an aluminum one. Which is sort of the point of my modification - I'm interested more in lightness/quickness than speed. Less unsprung gives better steering response and allows the suspension to do it's job better - as I'm sure you know. And the general rule is that six or seven pounds of weight removed from a middleweight bike equals one horsepower gained. The T140 wheel with rotor is eleven pounds lighter than the T100 wheel and tls brake, and the T140 forks are pounds lighter as well - the T100 fork lowers are steel.
Can you tell me how to recognize the T150/160 lower triple clamp when I see one? This ebay seller doesn't know which one he has...
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
and the T140 forks are pounds lighter as well - the T100 fork lowers are steel.
The T100 sliders are also about 1/3 as thick,so not much either way.The complete T100 forks,including yokes,may even be lighter.

The calipers are all twin opposed-piston.I don't think the Magnesium calipers were ever standard equipment,and they are expensive enough to ruin your budget.

I can only take an overall measurement on an assembled T160,later today.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Pete
This ebay lower triple measures 7 3/4" from below the bearing to top. My assembled T100 is close to that - are the oif ones much different in length? I've found both Grimeca and Lockheed aluminum T140 calipers for around $200 - as for the budget I'll quote The Treasure of the Sierra Madre:
"Budget? What budget? We don't have no budget. We don't have to show you any stinking budget!"
...do I have that right?

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Measured a T160 on the weekend at 8.6" from bottom of lower yoke to top of top yoke.The shoulder on the stem nut still had about 3/16" clearance to the top yoke.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Pete -
That's about what the same distance as on my T100 - think I might buy this set. No others for T150/160 have been listed recently. This lower has a part #97-4568428, which I've been unable to locate in online parts manuals for T140 and T160, but I guess every year might be a different #.

...unless anyone has a lower to sell?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts