Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wow... ive never had this kind of trouble doing any work on any bike before....i need pictures..how to index a 1972 t120v inner trans anybody got the manual.....ive tried everthing..nutral..4th gear..let it do what it wants....frankly im tired of taking it apart and putting it back together....its just pissing me off

·
Registered
93 Posts
Instead of trying to align the quadrant in neutral or in the middle of the shift pattern, use either first or fifth gear. Set the cam plate in first (or fifth) and lower the inner gearbox cover with the outer part of the quadrant almost all the way down (or up for fifth). When the cover is all the way down, the quadrant will not engage because of the long flat spot before the actual teeth. So, pick the cover up slightly and move the quadrant one tooth up (or one down for fifth; appx. 1/8 in) It will then engage the cam plate gear in the proper position. You can then use a screwdriver to ensure that the quadrant will index; you might need to turn the splines as you do this to get all gears. Get it into neutral before putting on the outer cover.

This is harder than it sounds; I recommend doing a couple of dry runs before using gaskets & sealer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts