Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
so i have uploaded 2 new videos for review. Iphone to YT so the quality is not the best.
So the person I bought it from has already post a video which I re-posted, but will do again.

1) Basically the bike was having some electrical problems. I charged up the battery, bike still did the same weird non starting thing.

2) I bridge the starter solenoid for a second, now the bike will attempt to start but not turn over.

3) With battery hooked up to battery jump box the bike will almost turn over.

4) The first video show a strange sound from the fuel pump, like it is kind of running with a wine.

So I will put a fresh battery in her tomorrow but I think that the throttle bodies need cleaning or its needs a new fuel pump.
Bike has not run for a few months.

Original owners video- point of reference.
Broke my multi-meter so will pick one up tomorrow and do the diagnostic test from DEcosse post.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Fuel pump whine is normal.

Hold the start button for more than 2 seconds, it might try to fire. If it sputters the dies, turn the key off and back on count to 10 cand try again. It will start soon enough. The way your doing it the motor is barely moving before you let go of the button.

About the video from the previous owner, I don't know what to say, other than you need to wait for the computer to finish its health check before hitting the start button. The speedo will go to zero when ready.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it just will not turn over, just for a a second like it wants to but nope. The fuel pump just sounds strange, most bikes you get that initial wine and then clicking. this does that that but the pump sounds a little labored. The bike sat for a few months!

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Mine did that with vacuum leaks, and still does that when starting cold (sitting for the night). When you turn the key on, the fuel pump primes. When you start it and it catches for a second then dies, you let the starter button go with the key still in the on position and it will prime again (no need to turn the key off and on). To get mine started sometimes, I just hold the starter button down for a long while until it catches and rumbles for more than a second, let off the starter and it should catch. No need to keep taking your thumb off the starter button unless your battery is about to die.

My fuel pump would make an different-than-normal sound when I had vacuum leaks. Ever since I fixed the latter, I don't recall hearing the former.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Spray some wd40 or starting fluid into the TB's and see if it fires up. By the sound of the starter you don't have a battery issue. The way the dash looks on the PO's video vs. your videos is conflicting. The PO's video shows the dash to be spastic, in yours it appears fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spray some wd40 or starting fluid into the TB's and see if it fires up. By the sound of the starter you don't have a battery issue. The way the dash looks on the PO's video vs. your videos is conflicting. The PO's video shows the dash to be spastic, in yours it appears fine.
Spastic was is a good word. I fully charged the battery and that seemed to fix the problem. How did you fix your vacuum leak?
Thanks for your post BTW

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Does it run now? If not, the vacuum hoses don't matter. I bought new vacuum hose from Autozone to replace the hoses that I found to be split. Some of them took some effort to get on since the connectors vary, it also took a few days to get all the bugs out of the ECM and for it to adapt. Just pull the tank and look around. If it is like the TT600, vacuum leaks will affect the way it runs, it shouldn't affect starting to the point that it won't start at all.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm starting to think that it is gas starvation. So either the line is blocked or the pump is not working. I will pull out the filter and pump tomorrow.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would be looking at it as a fuel issue, as in there isn't enough getting to the cylinder. this could be the fuel pump or gummed up throttle bodies... especially if it sat for a long time... It sounds like in your video's that it is cranking just fine which means battery is fine... The previous owner video just looks like a dead battery, thats what mine did when the stator went out and wasn't charging the battery...

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Again, check for spark then spray starting fluid into the cylinders and see if it fires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts