Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've completed my motorcycle safety school, got a license, a helmet, gloves, and a jacket, but still have no bike. I was initially set on a 70's Honda CB550 and now I am convinced to get a Triumph Bonneville or Thruxton, but still haven't decided on a year yet. Any ideas or help in finding one would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Welcome.
They all perform well. '08 or '09 (I think) was the transition from carbs to EFI. There are probably other minor differences but you can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think the Speed Triple is a lot of bike for a new rider. Bonnie or a Speedmaster would be a better from
the Triumph family. Too many newbies kill themselves on 100+ hp bikes.

·
Administrator
19,460 Posts
I think the Speed Triple is a lot of bike for a new rider. Bonnie or a Speedmaster would be a better from

the Triumph family. Too many newbies kill themselves on 100+ hp bikes.

You are correct. That was simply a shameless plug for my own motorcycle. Now, the early Speedmaster's (pre-2008?) have the more traditional style tank and dual front discs. I like them much!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
So I've complete my motorcycle safety school, got a license, a helmet, gloves, and a jacket, but still have no bike. I was initially set on a 70's Honda CB550 and now I am convinced to get a Triumph Bonneville or Thruxton, but still haven't decided on a year yet. Any ideas or help in finding one would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome.
Get a Thruxton, fast enough, but not over fast! Most beautiful new bike on the road.
Biggsy:)

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it'll be a Bonneville. I found a 2013 with 1300 miles, $2.5k worth of the mods that I had already been dreaming of, and only $6k! The Thruxton is where my heart was, but I figured if I want to get a sportier bike, I should get one with more power, when I am ready. ALSO Thruxton owners have their heads up their ass when it comes to resell value. No joke, but a Thruxton typically resells for at least 30-40% more than an equivalent Bonneville of the same year/mileage.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My advice would to not get any of those as a first bike. Get something that costs around $1500 and close to the style you are looking at. Ride it for a bit, get some experience on the street, parking it, maneuvering it around...If you're going to make mistakes, better to not do it on your dream bike.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Thruxtons sell for $1,200 more than a basic mag wheel Bonnie. They sell in smaller numbers since Bonnies are a dime a dozen. Thruxtons hold their perceived/market value over Bonnies. A bike is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay for. Has nothing to do where one's head is located.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts