Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed progressive springs on a TBS? Do they need them? I know Triumph improved the TBS suspension over the original classics. I haven't ridden the new (to me) TBS enough to make a determination. My 95 classic is very soft in the front and I have a set of cartridge emulators and progressive springs waiting to be installed. While the snow is flying would be a good time to change the fork springs in the TBS if need be.

·
Registered
204 Posts
TBS Front suspension

The springs on the TBS are progressively wound, and obviously you can adjust the preload. You definitely could replace them with after-market units but I'm not sure what if anything might be gained unless you were at one end or the other of the weight range.

The TBS has conventional forks with adjustable compression and rebound damping so again, I'm not sure what might be gained by installing gold valves or cartridge emulators.

So, I think your parts would be more beneficial installed on your '95.

Courtney in Seattle

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Unless you are very overweight I doubt you will ride hard enough to upgrade your TBS' suspension. Best thing you can do is set up the suspension for your weight.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, that was the answer I was hoping for! After I posted this initially, we got a couple days break in the weather and I was able to take a fairly long ride on the TBS. I was pleasantly surprised with the handling, the improvement over the Tbird was obvious and the diving under braking was much reduced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts