Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Street Twin and recently installed a TEC x-pipe. Love the power pop, sound, and heat reduction, but noticing slight clutch slippage due to the increased torque (I'm guessing). I'm looking for stiffer clutch springs that fit but can't seem to find any. Anyone out there know if there are aftermarket springs available?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I would check your clutch free play first of all at the lever, and make sure the lever itself is moving freely and lubricated.
There's no way just installing an x-pipe would create enough extra torque to make the clutch slip.
Did you disconnect or disturb the cable when you were installing the x-pipe?

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I asked Bib Carpenter about the 240 hp kit fir the Rocket regarding the clutch. He said the stock clutch was fine, Barnett unnecessary. If heavier springs were necessary, are they in the Speed Twin or Thruxton?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clutch free play is fine, I think. Seems to release all the way. The slip is most noticeable at around 5k rpm. Are there any other clutch adjustments that can be made? Thanks all for the help and advice.

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
296 Posts
Sure it’s clutch slip? Do the revs rise rapidly without any equal speed increase. The boys will correct me if I’m wrong but doesn't the throttle percentage get backed of over 5800 or some where around there? Would make it feel like the revs are increaseing but the speed increase is not proportional to wrist position.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Clutch free play is fine, I think. Seems to release all the way. The slip is most noticeable at around 5k rpm. Are there any other clutch adjustments that can be made? Thanks all for the help and advice.
if you're 100% sure the FreePlay is adjusted correctly at the lever then there are no other adjustments, the lower adjuster on the cable bracket does exactly the same job as the one at the lever.
If this is only happening since installing the x-pipe then it's almost guaranteed to be something you've done during the install.
The electronic throttle "reduction" only happens above 6500 RPM (on a Thruxton anyway) and doesn't feel at all like clutch slip, in fact you'd struggle to tell it was happening as the throttle doesn't actually reduce because it never gets over 84%.

Reactions: roadscum

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
296 Posts
The electronic throttle "reduction" only happens above 6500 RPM (on a Thruxton anyway) and doesn't feel at all like clutch slip, in fact you'd struggle to tell it was happening as the throttle doesn't actually reduce because it never gets over 84%.
Ah, that’s higher then I read on another post. Yea not going to notice it that close to redline.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Part of the problem here is that I'm a relatively new rider (<3yrs), and this is ony my 2nd bike. I definitley noticed some type of engine throttling before the x-pipe install, and when I researched the issue I heard about the throttle reduction over certain rpm's and assumed it was that. Now that I've been riding the bike more and getting used to it I'm able to push it harder and can feel the slipping (rpms go up, speed doesnt). I also had some new tires put on and the mechanic said he thought the clutch was slipping too. And that was just tooling around in the parking lot for a bit. He confimed that my clutch cables and levers looked OK. Since then I've been hyper aware of it and been trying to notice it more. So, it could be the x pipe, or it could be that I'm stressing the bike more, or it could be both.

Anyway - I find it strange that there dont seem to be any aftermarket options for this clutch (whether I actually need one or not)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
There's no after market clutch because none is needed. Here's a question for you young grasshopper. Why would any reasonable business person even consider providing such an offering????

Paul

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If the mechanic just 'tooling around the parking lot a bit' and did not actually check and verify the the adjustments......
I'd be looking else where for a different mechanic.

Paul

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The mechanic had just fitted new tires and was test riding the bike - not focused on the clutch. When he noticed the slipping he then checked the cable and lever adjustments and confirmed they were ok. He said he used to work for Triumph. He also said his current shop couldnt do the work - he was just telling me as an FYI, which I appreciated.

So if the clutch SHOULD be good, but isnt, maybe I have a faulty clutch...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had a thing like this happen many moons ago on a Honda but it turned out to be worn dogs in the gearbox and actually the gears were hopping. This was on a race bike that started off with about 35bhp (oh yes I can hear you all snigger haha) but by this time was making just over 60. I don't think we ever changed the clutch or modified it...maybe springs but still OE. Except on one occasion when it snapped a big-end journal at 8500rpm at Brands 😭 but then most of the insides were toast. in the end we had to undercut the dogs or something to keep it in the right gear ...it was 25yrs ago!

Not much help I know but, if your clutch really is knackered, it hurts to think about the state of the rest of the motor. If you "think" your clutch free play is ok but your clutch still slips it probably isn't. Just check it again or wind in the adjuster a couple of turns to see. You'll soon know if you wind it in to much did cos it'll make a proper clonk when you engage 1st gear. Don't mean to teach you to suck eggs but do keep the front brake on when you engage 1st gear tho.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
The mechanic had just fitted new tires and was test riding the bike - not focused on the clutch. When he noticed the slipping he then checked the cable and lever adjustments and confirmed they were ok. He said he used to work for Triumph. He also said his current shop couldnt do the work - he was just telling me as an FYI, which I appreciated.e

So if the clutch SHOULD be good, but isnt, maybe I have a faulty clutch...
The bike’s under warrantee. Bring it in and let Triumph figure it out. BTW, when you installed the bypass, did you loosen the left frame rail to get the cat out? Might you have damaged the clutch cable?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I did have to loosen the frame rail, so I suppose its possible that I screwed something up. Wouldnt be the first time:) I do have plenty of free play at the lever, and I have checked the clutch point at the other end of the cable (not sure what you call it) and it doesnt seem to be hung up or hindered in any way.

I'm coming from a Rebel 500, so even with the supposed clutch slip, this Street Twin feels like a rocket ship.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I only thought my clutch was slipping in my Thruxton R. Turns out my lever was installed weird and I adjusted my clutch too tight, not enough slack

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
My advice to check for a slipping clutch is as follows:

While standing still with the engine running, get into top gear (not sure if that's fifth or sixth on your street twin), hold the front brake on, then attempt to pull off using plenty of throttle and revs. Actually not even necessary to use excessive revs/throttle, just attempt a normal pull away.
If you get to the point where the clutch lever is right out without the engine stalling, then the clutch is definitely slipping. If the engine stalls, the clutch is OK.
As pointed out by previous posters, you must first ensure correct free play in the cable of course. If the clutch is knackered, you require new clutch plates i.e. a rebuild, not stiffer springs.

Something else to mention, are you using a motorcycle specific oil? Ordinary car oil can cause motorcycle wet clutches to slip due to their different additives. I'd say that is less likely to be your problem though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
As above the engine oil could be incompatible. Could it be someone used car oil with friction modifiers?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts