Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, my throttle cable started to get sticky. It doesn't spin freely and won't go back to it's original position on it's own. I was planning on lubricating the cables, but I'm not sure what would be the best lube to use. Any help?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Make sure the rubber grip is not making contact with the bar end or switch controls. This is pretty comon when a sticky grip happens somewhat suddenly.

Jim :cool:

·
30,701 Posts
What Jim said. If it's not that, I lube mine with motor oil. Whatever cheap brand is to hand. I drip oil in the end for a while and puggle the cable until oil drips out the other end. Seems to work alright.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Before assuming the cables needs lubing check that it's not trapped anywhere, that it has a good, easy run without sharp bends and that no strands have broken and are jamming the cable/s.

To do a good job it's best to undo the two screws on the twistgrip and dislodge the cable nipples from the twistgrip drum or sleeve.

Mark the cables so they go back the same way as there's a "pull" and a "push" cable.

A quick lubing can be done with this sort of cable lubricator tool that attaches to the thin pipe that comes on cans of aerosol oil or diluted lithium grease. These can be obtained at most bicycle shops:

A better way is this hydraulic unit that enables you to use any sort of oil including heavy weight transmission oils and with the oil being forced under pressure it washes out any dirt or grit:

The old fashioned way is to make a funnel out of plasticine and dribble oil inside:

There's another way using a plastic bag like this:

IMPORTANT AND OFTEN FORGOTTEN:

Before re-assembling the throttle drum smear some grease on the handlebar end, where the drum or throttle sleeve bears, and on to the cable nipple housing and the grooves that guide the cable round the drum.

Cable lubrication together with chain adjustment and lubing and carb synchronisation are some of the basic maintenance procedures that produce surprisingly pleasant results relative to the effort involved.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Some cables are teflon-lined. Probably not the Triumph ones, but as I recall, BMW hasn't recommended lubing their cables for several years. I'll need to double check on this with the BMW service rep. I think oil in their cables caused the Teflon to swell, which had the opposite of the desired result.

Bob

·
Registered
482 Posts
Indeed, taking the throttle loose at the handlebar worked well. From there it was simple a matter of applying lubricant in whichever fashion seemed to work the best for you (my Super Lube had a long nozzle which fit into the cable sleeve, and after it was in there I gave it a few squeezes). Now she's working as well as ever.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Make sure the rubber grip is not making contact with the bar end or switch controls. This is pretty comon when a sticky grip happens somewhat suddenly.

Jim :cool:
Ditto.

Mine stuck for a while, and I was thinking cables were bad. I loosened the throttle from the bar and tightened it down again, barely moved it, but suddenly it was unstuck and perfect. Check it...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sticky throttle

Some cables are teflon-lined. Probably not the Triumph ones, but as I recall, BMW hasn't recommended lubing their cables for several years. I'll need to double check on this with the BMW service rep. I think oil in their cables caused the Teflon to swell, which had the opposite of the desired result.

Bob
G'day all. I was intending to go lube my cables as I'm developing a similar problem on the Thrux but thought I'd check the source of all info Trumpy wise first for any tips, problems, cures etc. I found this thread with all of the answers to my questions, but also posing a new one I hadn't thought of, the issue of teflon lined cables. So ohiorider, what did you find? Is this an issue for all of us here? Has anyone experienced a worsening of their sticking throttles after lubing? To lube or not to lube, that is the question? (sorry Shakespeare).
Cheers all. Russell

·
Registered
73 Posts
on various buikes (including pushbikes) i've used Lanox, Inox and WD40 from aerosol cans using the rubber clamping gadget shown in this thread and all of these have worked fine. it seems like there are plenty of ways to skin a cat. as long as you're skinning it, your throttle shouldn't stick. lube on, brother.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts