Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still less than 1k miles, or around that and my clutch cable is already sticky. I noticed it a few days ago- engine seems 'grainy' in first for lack of a better work, a bit slow even though I'd hit the rev limit. Then today, I'd pull in the clutch only to have it stick. And it wouldn't fully release unless I actually pushed it out. I could tell it wasn't fully releasing as I could feel the engine kick a tiny bit right when I'd push it out. I have been riding in all weather, but I rode in worse conditions on my old bike that presumably didn't have a teflon cable.

Any suggestions? Aside from taking it to the shop tomorrow and getting a new cable under warranty...and missing out on the best weather weekend we're going to have this year.

Even though I don't want to- I'm still taking it in since this bike is so new- I wouldn't expect to have issues so early on. Anything else the sticky lever might be indicative of? Anything potentially more serious? I'm running stock levers.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Always worth disconnecting the cable at the bars and running some oil through on any new bike. There is a myth that nylon lined cables don't need lubricating but once a bit of dampness has corroded the dry inner cable the damage is done.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Always worth disconnecting the cable at the bars and running some oil through on any new bike. There is a myth that nylon lined cables don't need lubricating but once a bit of dampness has corroded the dry inner cable the damage is done.

The myth is grounded in fact. The solvents in some lubricants damage the liner and make the issue worse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem but with clutch slip as well. Turned out it was road dirt that had got into the lever stopping it from returning fully. A wash with WD40 followed by spray grease sorted it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting. I’m having a similar issue but at 10k mile. Glad to hear it’s only dirt and grime. I’ll give it a better, more throughout, washing and see if that’s the problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bump the thread... just rode home and clutch got progressively worse. An VW R36 thought I was teasing him off the lights. Cleaned the cable as best I could and then removed and cleaned the clutch lever assy, lubed and reassembled. Rain for the next day or so so will check on Saturday if fix sticks (pun intended).

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Just had this issue on my Thruxton r, clutch started slipping a bit under acceleration and then the lever felt tight and not returning fully, cable was fine as expected with modern teflon lined cables, took the lever off and found the pin was fine inside the bush but the brass Bush was tight in the actual lever, when I pushed it out I found part of the bush picked up on the aluminium in the lever bore, unlike the one in the brake lever I think this Bush needs to be free to move, there is a machined groove in the bush that's presumably there to hold Grease. Had to clean up the bush and the lever with some fine Emery, greased everything and now it's back to normal.
And before you say that's poor maintenance on my behalf, in my defence I've only just bought the bike and it had supposedly been serviced before collection, I think they'd just done an oil change at most. The levers felt fine when I got the bike and I would have stripped them and greased them when I serviced it in the winter.
I've just done both brake levers clutch and gear lever just to be sure though now.?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts