Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traveling 300 miles Monday to check out and hopefully buy a '95 1200. The owner hasn't ridden it in maybe 3 years and service work done three weeks ago to 'unstick' the clutch consisted of the dealer shop soaking the plates in oil, reassembling, then pronouncing that the clutch "now works fine". Now the seller tells be the clutch is stuck again! I want to buy this bike. Am I looking at major problems and costly repairs? Hell, I do lots of work on bikes myself and I'm figuring that I should be able to remedy this myself too. But is there something nasty lurking in a '95 1200's innards or history that's gonna jump out and bite me and my wallet? Are clutch problems with 1200 Daytonas a constant and costly something to always be on the lookout for? Like I said, I wanna buy this bike. 21K on the clock and very clean.
Thanks for any opinions.

Mushman

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Mushman, I had an '86 600 Kawasaki that did this. It'll take a clutch replacement so get a couple hundred off the agreed price.

My bike's problem was caused by using an oil the clutch material didn't like (my fault) and would lock up if it sat over night. If I didn't roll it down the driveway (as if I were bump starting) with clutch engaged and shifting to first, it'd die.

If it'll break free, I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker, if it won't...up to you.

Brad

1 - 2 of 2 Posts