Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I’ve seen a couple of threads about upgrading to stick coils from other bikes but some of the info is a bit contradictory.
Was there any consensus reached over what works, what doesn’t work and what kills the ECU/igniter?

cheers,

Stu

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi All,

I’ve seen a couple of threads about upgrading to stick coils from other bikes but some of the info is a bit contradictory.
Was there any consensus reached over what works, what doesn’t work and what kills the ECU/igniter?

cheers,

Stu
Hi Stu, I've been using stick coils for about 3 years. They work better than stock, and are less expensive than replacing a bad coil. They work great on 900 engines. I tried a couple of different ways to make them work on my 1200 engine but no success. Often you'll read to use stick coils from a 600 Daytona. Those bike are old and so are the coils. The same stick coils are used in the big 1600 & 1700 Thunderbirds, much newer. I was having a tough time finding the connectors to plug into the stick coils. Yamaha uses the right connector. It's a small harness that I bought off eBay, less than $10. While you're at it switch the power supply to the stick coils using the Johnson Jolt, more voltage goes to the stick coils.
Greg

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greg,
I’ll do as you suggest, stick coils & Johnson Jolt. Off to eBay to find the parts....
Cheers,
Stu

·
Registered
344 Posts
I did the stick coil thing on my 96 Sprint 900 turned CRK special. I got used TT600 coils for about 40 bucks the set. Since then Ive seen that for what it is worth, the triumph part number crossed over to this kawasaki unit, which can be purchased new from $40 each

https://www.rmstator.com/en_ww/produ...n-coil-rm06083

same manufacturer part number. If interested, the connectors are listed a ford product, 8 of them for 13 bucks
https://www.amazon.com/MOTOALL-Igni...ang+Pigtails.&qid=1563787726&s=gateway&sr=8-4

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,
The RMStator stuff is about 20% more expensive in UK but I reckon new coils might provide more peace of mind than used items... looks like they are American made rather than Chinese so I’m guessing that the quality should be up to muster...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Early tt600 ones fit. And some Suzuki?. Fitted them on my Steamer a few yrs ago. No problem s.
Sprintmanufacturing sell after market coils . Cheaper than oem. Got them on my S3. No issues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Threepot,
I got hold of some coils from a Thunderbird 1700... same Denso part number as the TT600 coils 👍🏻

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coils arrived from US... took 3 days to get from California to London and then another 3 weeks to get from London to Gloucester 🙄

Anyway ...all fitted (see pic) Just need to sort out a way of sealing the top of the spark plug hole to keep any water out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Stu, I went to the hardware store and bought some different sized o-rings. I picked the one that fit the best and bought two more. There is a small groove on the stick coil to hold the o-ring. I put a little grease on the o-ring and it slid right into the valve cover hole.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The caps are a nice finishing touch. I’m using a tight fitting o ring as suggested by Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts