Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have searched a bit and I have found answers just not specific answers, so....

I have a 96 Sprint 900 converted to CRK Cafe Racer (3 into 1, custom intake, severe weight loss) and Im starting to get a low rpm stumble then it picks up fine. As I have the 23 year old OEM coils I am thinking of a stick conversion.

I know the Thunderbird 1600/1700 and the TT600 coils are plug and play. Those are a little hard to come by , but the Daytona 675 sticks are a dime a dozen and everywhere. Does anybody know if they would plug in, or is there a voltage thing I dont know about?

Also Yamaha R6 sticks are all over the place, they are cheap enough I could buy a set and just see.

Thanks and any ideas will help.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll keep you posted...I popped for a set of 600TT coils (40 euro) and a new set of denso connectors for tidy installation (14 euro). I'll let you know next week after they arrive if it was as easy as they said it would be. it looks straight forward but nothing ever is.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK Kiddies,...after all the forum surfing and all the articles and all the experts on the internet (some of them truly are experts and a fabulous resource for a mortal such as myself) I have come to the conclusion that the TT600 stick coils are just fine. There are many T300 bikes out there with several thousand miles on TT600 coils with no issues.

I did it, my rubber grommets have not arrived yet but I fitted what I had to get the wiring out the way and it was very easy and very cheap. I have a total of 45 euro tied up in conversion to stick coils and the bike runs great on the table, I cant get any street time til I swap my jets (another story for another day) that should arrive tomorrow .

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll keep you posted...I popped for a set of 600TT coils (40 euro) and a new set of denso connectors for tidy installation (14 euro). I'll let you know next week after they arrive if it was as easy as they said it would be. it looks straight forward but nothing ever is.
Great thread and information. May I ask where you got your 600TT coils from?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I picked p my coils for 10 euro each on ebay.de ,they came from a used motorcycle parts house. I have searched ebay, facebook marketplace, and even just google search used TT600 coil. Also, I posted this on anther triumph forum after a fellow there was concerned that the TT coils could damage my igniter. I have since learned that the same part number is listed as the coils for the TT600, 650 Daytona, and the Speed Four.

Thanks Paul, I am a little worried, I found this informative thread on fitting TT600 sticks to a T300 Thunderbird sport on the other forum...

https://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/505458-tt600-coils-on-tbs.html

it went into great detail and even some analysis. If anybody sees a red flag and would like to save me..we have about 4 days before delivery of parts

If interested, the connectors are listed a ford product for 8 of them 13 bucks
https://www.amazon.com/MOTOALL-Igni...ang+Pigtails.&qid=1563787726&s=gateway&sr=8-4

The grommets are a V8 product also, as per the thread just trim the bottom 1/2 inch off and perfect fit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G9FRKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
152 Posts
You can get Thunderbird 1600 or 1700 stick coils cheap from Ebay. Same part number as the Daytona 600, but the Daytona coils will be old. Yamaha R6 ignition wires are cheap from Ebay. This way you'll have a good connectors into the stick coils.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Greg, you are correct but for 10 each, I popped for the TT600. as to the connectors, these Ford units are high quality and new, and exactly the same...

search: MOTOALL Ignition Coil Connector Plug Wire Harness Pigtail Wiring Loom 2-way for Ford 4.6L 5.4L 6.8L 1991-2011 & Mercury Rover MG Panoz - 8pcs

the connectors are listed a ford product for 8 of them 14 bucks
https://www.amazon.com/MOTOALL-Igni....gateway&sr=8-4

coupled with the 38 dollar coils from RMstator you could have all new components from the start. Ii will purchase a set of the coils next month and keep the old ones as spares

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Nice work, I went the same route on my CRK Trident about 3 years ago using TT600 sticks and R6 ignition loom/connectors and have been very pleased with the results. I found some very large rubber grommets and cut them down to fit over the sticks and seal the hole.

You got a bargain with your coils and great finding the Ford connectors and deals. Think I will get some of those for my T/Bird that I will convert over the winter when I do a few other bits n pieces to it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok My Dudes, I have run 4 trouble free tanks of fuel through the bike and she runs fantastic, I can say that these coils work just fine on the old 900 T300's and anybody facing a game of musical coils should make the MOD. It was cheap and easy, all he parts are readily available and dirt cheap. I am going to declare...CASE CLOSED

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok My Dudes, I have run 4 trouble free tanks of fuel through the bike and she runs fantastic, I can say that these coils work just fine on the old 900 T300's and anybody facing a game of musical coils should make the MOD. It was cheap and easy, all he parts are readily available and dirt cheap. I am going to declare...CASE CLOSED
just ordered the Kawasaki stick coils found the connectors from your description as the link didn't work and got the grommets so thanks for those links, new link for the connectors if anyone's interested https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H77B6DS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2UKKA3VL49Q0J&psc=1

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re-open the case. Anybody have any success putting stick coils on a 1200 engine? I tried wiring it a couple of different ways and no success. I've been running stick coils on my 900 engines for 3 years. They work great. The other electrical mod I do for the spark is the Johnson Jolt. The positive wire firing up the coils is only 10.5 volts. I've got an extra accessory fuse box and an additional relay. When the relay is activated 12.8 is going to the coils. It picks up its power from the added fuse box. One of the original positive wires for a coil is activating the relay.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Greg, I'll have to look at the manual but Im wondering if the 1200 uses the two lead coils X2 like most Japanese bikes or 4 separate coils???

New problem, lets figure this out.... what's the hang up and where did you start?

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK twin lead coils X2 like the japanese. that's #1 and #3, and #2 and #4 so a wasted spark, split wires??/

Try this guy, same issue
https://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/536025-convert-from-two-coils-to-cops.html
on Nology's site they have two different coils and one is for the 4 cylinder (2 plugs 1 coil) the other for the 3 cylinder
ProFire PFC-06TD Ignition Coil Dual Outlet / 0.6 Ohm

Bonneville, T-100, Thruxton 900 (1 coil per bike)
Daytona 1200, Trophy 1200 (2 coils per bike)
vs
ProFire PFC-06TS Ignition Coil Single Outlet / 0.6 Ohm

America, Speedmaster, Scrambler 900 (2 coils per bike)
Trophy 900 (3 coils per bike)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would start by comparing wire diagrams from the 1200 and the 900 and figure the diff and make adjustments.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts