Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought for a minute when I read this I had inadvertently clicked on the Onion*.

"This icon of the collection in the Autumn/Winter 2012 season, the Mens Barbour MacGrain Waxed Jacket is based on the traditional 1937 motorcycle jacket cut and is a version of an original 1964 ISDT team jacket as worn by Steve McQueen. Made from a heavy 8oz wax, this 4 pocket jacket features a simulated mud-splattered design made of rubber compounded mud - made to match the mud marks on Steve’s original jacket. It features concealed stud bellows pockets, cord collar with collar strap, leather trimmed buckle and is finished with an ancient Barbour tartan lining."

...and it's all yours for the meager sum of £499 ($760US).

http://www.barbourbymail.co.uk/Mens-Barbour-MacGrain-Waxed-Jacket.html

* The Onion - http://www.theonion.com/

·
Registered
895 Posts
:Not again

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Oh dear...what next, the Steve McQueen/Barbour Wehrmacht riding jacket (with matching German helmet)???

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Minus the fake mud, it's a really nice-looking jacket.

To me, this jacket isn't any worse than the Steve McQueen stuff Triumph's been hawking, including the McQueen Bonnie.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Do they sell that fake mud? I'd like to have that McQueen Bonnie and the mud would finish the look. Then when I go to the bar on the corner everyone who sees it on my trailer would think I ride in the dirt. I might even put some on my Hummer.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Fake mud?? Wonder how they would feel about me sending them some equally less genuine cash for one?

Minus the fake mud, it's a really nice-looking jacket.

To me, this jacket isn't any worse than the Steve McQueen stuff Triumph's been hawking, including the McQueen Bonnie.
Agreed. I don't know that it is really any more cheesy than this. It's like a McQueen Fathead in a leather jacket.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Fake mud for fake riders. Kinda makes sense. Would be a nice jacket without the rubber mud. Although it's priced just right for some wannabe office jockey who wants to look like a rebel. I hope Steve's ghost haunts the tool who came up with the fake mud idea.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I understand enough to know that fashion is ridiculous at best, but is there really no point where you say enough is enough?

The other problem I have is that the price Barbour charges for the level of quality they produce is insulting. Not to mention that as an actual motocycle jacket the waxed cotton products pretty much suck.

And yes, I actually own one...

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Those are not the stains we were looking for.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Fake mud?? Wonder how they would feel about me sending them some equally less genuine cash for one?

Agreed. I don't know that it is really any more cheesy than this. It's like a McQueen Fathead in a leather jacket.

Hey, if that picture of Steve on the lining of the jacket could take off it's jacket, would there be a picture of Steve, picture of Steve, picture of Steve......?

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
I agree with Lefty. There's nothing wrong with the jacket itself. But who in their right mind would buy that thing covered in fake mud? I know somebody will chime in and say lots of guys would, but I seriously have a hard time believing that. It would be interesting to see how many of those abominations they actually sell...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts