Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Right perhaps I was being a bit 'black and white' when I started this thread. I'll try and be a little clearer about the point I'm trying to make.

The majority of my riding involves commuting 20 miles a day across two busy towns in the south of England, this can be quite a hairy practice at times to say the least, especially at this time of year when it's dark for most of the day and usually pi**ing down with rain. I've noticed whilst on my commute that a lot of the time you'll find someone in a 'powerful foreign luxury saloon car' with their face in a smartphone, driving on the white line in the middle of the road making it difficult to pass in slow moving traffic, jumping traffic lights or trying to 'race' you when you get to clear section of road. I maybe looking too deeply into this and I realise drivers of other car manufacturer's have the same nasty habits, but I feel there has definitely been a large rise in the purchase of powerful luxury 'foreign' cars in the UK over the last decade or so with the help of that massive advertising campaign which was the TV show 'Top Gear', thanks Clarkson.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with chaps who have done well in life purchasing said vehicles, they're proud of their achievements and want show it, fair play to them. After all my boss drives a new AMG Mercedes of some description, not my thing so I don't know what model it is, but without him the company I work for wouldn't exist and I wouldn't have a job so couldn't feed my family and so on. So with this sentiment I thank him for his success.

The problem I do have with these vehicles is that eventually, and this doesn't take long with vehicle depreciation, filter down to the masses and can be bought for quite cheap money, here's an example on ebay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-M5-Facelift-Monte-Carlo-2001/202843331718?hash=item2f3a679c86:g:TewAAOSw1Bxd6QU2, at the moment this 2001, BMW M5, a 400 HP car is less than £13000, almost the same price as a brand new 70 HP Ford KA. If younger people are prepared to stretch to paying for a used 400 HP BMW M5 are they going to scrimp on safety items, like buying good quality tyres or brakes when they need replacing, or even getting proper insurance for said vehicles?

Also as mentioned in another thread on this forum, road policing has decreased dramatically in the UK over the last 10 or so years, and the Dept. of transport has become more reliant on the use of CCTV, speed cameras and ANPR cameras. These cameras are all well and good for picking up on un-taxed vehicles or speeding drivers, but what they cant do is check vehicle roadworthiness, now this bothers me when you've got a 2 tonne plus car hammering down the road with an inexperienced driver behind the wheel. My wife finally got around to taking her driving test 3 years ago at the ripe old age of 48, she drives a 100 HP Ford Fiesta which is ample for her needs, but there is nothing stopping her from buying a 15 year old high powered car and driving it with only 3 years experience under her belt.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I will add to this, in 1998 I purchased a 3 year old Kawasaki ZX9R B4 for £3500, the bike when new was around £8000 so within 3 years it had lost more than half its value. I had already been riding for 12 years and worked my way up to a powerful, well at the time, machine on much smaller cc bikes so already had quite a lot of experience, I still found the bike to be quite a handful though. Before the 'stepped' UK licensing laws were introduced I knew quite a few blokes who passed their tests on 125cc motorcycles then went straight out and bought rather powerful used Jap sports bikes because they weren't that expensive, and as I said earlier in this thread, I did know a chap who killed himself in the process. The government at the time realised the problem with this so therefore introduced 'stepped' bike licenses.
During the 80's and 90's there were a few powerful cars on the market, but nothing in comparison to what an in-experienced driver can get their hands on for quite cheap money today.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Don't worry so much. When autonomous cars take over as well as other robots, the perils will be greatly diminished. Or, the self driving cars and robots will rid the planet of humans. As Michael Palin once said, "Humans were an experiment in evolution that failed".

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Well the thing is I would have let it go but in the last two days alone in the local East Bournemouth press there have been three instances of bad and dangerous driving involving German car drivers, I'm not making this up but if you go through the whole of last year in my local paper I would say that at least 80% of the road accidents that have been reported on involve a German car in one way or another, not all but most. I honestly feel there is a problem with the amount of power these cars have or the drivers, it can't just be an issue in my area alone. Take a look at this,

Not a high powered car I know, but German all the same. This was in yesterday's paper.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts