Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
On the subject of overly powerful cars has anyone else seen this horrible piece of climate destroyer,

View attachment 715565

This thing weighs almost 2.5 tonnes, is over 5 metres long, over 2 metres wide, the most powerful model is 530 HP, has a 4.4 litre engine and can do 0-60 in just under 5 seconds.
Believe me I'm not writing this out of jealousy, far from it, this hideous machine could do some serious damage in the wrong hands, is there really any need for something like this these days?
... come the revolution comrade :)

Also be careful not to be a glasshouse dweller throwing stones, there are plenty who would question the need for a 199 mph motorcycle on public roads:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
'Also be careful not to be a glasshouse dweller throwing stones, there are plenty who would question the need for a 199 mph motorcycle on public roads'

This is true, but unlike the 2.5 tonne tank of a BMW a Hayabusa only weighs in at a mere 266kg and is minuscule in size compared to the aforementioned BMW box, so if one were to 'lose' it on the Hayabusa whilst doing some crazy arsed riding, the rider is the one who is going to feel the brunt of the accident. Doesn't this really go back to the introduction of 'stepped licensing' making riders safer and more aware of the power that they are in control of?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I to own a car, this is my 1969 Reliant Rebel;

This little beauty does 0-60 sometimes, I did take it up to 70mph once, but only the once! It weighs about 600kg and is 3.5 metres long. It has some safety features such as seat belts, and it is really good at keeping me dry and warm(ish) when I wuss out at 6 in the morning when the weather gets really cold :cool:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Whilst I see your point, I’m entirely against giving any more power to the nanny state. I don’t want the feds telling me what sort of car or bike I may or may not drive on the roads, as long as I pay my taxes that should be my choice. If it is a 2.5t Mitsubishi truck, then so be it.

We already have severe restrictions nearly everything: guns (even air guns and replicas), knives, chemicals, even battery acid can’t be bought without a poisons licence. The nanny state is taking over our lives in England ... oh for the Land of the Free!

:)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
On the subject of overly powerful cars has anyone else seen this horrible piece of climate destroyer,

View attachment 715565

This thing weighs almost 2.5 tonnes, is over 5 metres long, over 2 metres wide, the most powerful model is 530 HP, has a 4.4 litre engine and can do 0-60 in just under 5 seconds.
Believe me I'm not writing this out of jealousy, far from it, this hideous machine could do some serious damage in the wrong hands, is there really any need for something like this these days?
Not a tree hugger in the least, but Yes! However, more like this:

Any typical sedan can cause serious damage in the wrong hands. Stop singling our uber powerful/expensive vehicles.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
'Also be careful not to be a glasshouse dweller throwing stones, there are plenty who would question the need for a 199 mph motorcycle on public roads'

This is true, but unlike the 2.5 tonne tank of a BMW a Hayabusa only weighs in at a mere 266kg and is minuscule in size compared to the aforementioned BMW box, so if one were to 'lose' it on the Hayabusa whilst doing some crazy arsed riding, the rider is the one who is going to feel the brunt of the accident. Doesn't this really go back to the introduction of 'stepped licensing' making riders safer and more aware of the power that they are in control of?
Oh you think weight is a determining factor? Some years ago was a pic of a sport bike that blew through an intersection and plowed into the side of a minivan. The bike burst into flames and everyone in the van was killed.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Whilst I see your point, I’m entirely against giving any more power to the nanny state. I don’t want the feds telling me what sort of car or bike I may or may not drive on the roads, as long as I pay my taxes that should be my choice. If it is a 2.5t Mitsubishi truck, then so be it.

We already have severe restrictions nearly everything: guns (even air guns and replicas), knives, chemicals, even battery acid can’t be bought without a poisons licence. The nanny state is taking over our lives in England ... oh for the Land of the Free!

I do agree with freedom of choice, I used to do 'offroading' as a hobby, and have owned older Range rovers, Landrovers and at one point a Toyota Hi-lux but this was because I used these vehicles for the purpose that they were designed for, I no longer partake in such activities so have no use for one.

It is a sad state of affairs that the UK is turning into a nanny state, but unfortunately there are some that abuse the freedoms that we originally had. I'm not even sure that the human race is capable of controlling itself, you see it almost everyday, stories about knife crime, abuse, assaults using 'acid' and such like all perpetuated by human beings. So in a way I personally feel safer, and I don't just mean on the roads, with the usage of CCTV more policing and stricter control on dangerous substances, including guns, knives and the like.

I went into my local Lakeland shop recently to buy some serving spoons for my dear old mum and was quite shocked to see some pretty nasty looking kitchen knives on display, not in a secure cabinet just hung on the wall for all to see and touch, scary stuff.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I to own a car, this is my 1969 Reliant Rebel;

View attachment 715566

This little beauty does 0-60 sometimes, I did take it up to 70mph once, but only the once! It weighs about 600kg and is 3.5 metres long. It has some safety features such as seat belts, and it is really good at keeping me dry and warm(ish) when I wuss out at 6 in the morning when the weather gets really cold :cool:
:) that is commendable in its own way.

... I have 2 cars and 4 motorcycles, but I only drive or ride one at a time, I keep them all MoT tested (except a 1976 Suzuki that it so old it doesn’t need it), insured and taxed (except that 1976 Suzuki that is exempt). I keep them all either garaged or parked on my private driveway so they are not an inconvenience to my neighbours and I’m licensed to drive all of them. When my son turns 17 in 20 months time I’ll buy him a car as well.

I don’t feel in the tiniest bit embarrassed about having having a number of vehicles and I quite like the fact that all 6 are a little socially unpopular in one way or another (a 300 HP sports car, a diesel, a 900cc motorcycle, a sports bike, an off road bike and a 2 stroke that makes as much smoke as the rest of the town I live in). It is my choice how I spend my money, not some civil servant.

As the Americans say: one can never have enough guns or motorcycles.

Best wishes,

Alan

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No. Just some crossroad in the States.
I don't want to bleat on about the 'stepped' UK bike licensing thing, but in the US they don't have this rule, maybe if they did then the sports bike rider wouldn't have gone through the intersection ending up in flames in the side of a minivan.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I went into my local Lakeland shop recently to buy some serving spoons for my dear old mum and was quite shocked to see some pretty nasty looking kitchen knives on display, not in a secure cabinet just hung on the wall for all to see and touch, scary stuff.
With respect: the nanny state has gone too far when people are scared of kitchen knives.

I recall a shopping trip to a Walmart in WV soon after I moved to Va (Walmart still sold guns with the sporting goods in those days). I bought an air gun with the groceries and was offered a very nice O/U Beretta 12G at a huge discount (there was no market for O/Us in WV). I wasn’t an American, had only been in the country a few weeks and just had a few days old Va drivers’ license.

I didn’t think that scary at all.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
:) that is commendable in its own way.

... I have 2 cars and 4 motorcycles, but I only drive or ride one at a time, I keep them all MoT tested (except a 1976 Suzuki that it so old it doesn’t need it), insured and taxed (except that 1976 Suzuki that is exempt). I keep them all either garaged or parked on my private driveway so they are not an inconvenience to my neighbours and I’m licensed to drive all of them. When my son turns 17 in 20 months time I’ll buy him a car as well.

I don’t feel in the tiniest bit embarrassed about having having a number of vehicles and I quite like the fact that all 6 are a little socially unpopular in one way or another (a 300 HP sports car, a diesel, a 900cc motorcycle, a sports bike, an off road bike and a 2 stroke that makes as much smoke as the rest of the town I live in). It is my choice how I spend my money, not some civil servant.

As the Americans say: one can never have enough guns or motorcycles.

Best wishes,

Alan

It's entirely up to you how many vehicles you own, I would love to own a couple more bikes, I just don't have the room for them or even the time and inclination to look after them. Two vehicle's are enough for me.

Merry christmas.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's entirely up to you how many vehicles you own, I would love to own a couple more bikes, I just don't have the room for them or even the time and inclination to look after them. Two vehicle's are enough for me.

Merry christmas.
Absolutely... and have a very happy Xmas :)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I don't want to bleat on about the 'stepped' UK bike licensing thing, but in the US they don't have this rule, maybe if they did then the sports bike rider wouldn't have gone through the intersection ending up in flames in the side of a minivan.
What makes you think so? If the rider was out hooning it up, the displacement of the bike would better little. Even a 300cc starter bike can reach triple digit speeds and make a great armour piercing projectile.

P.S. I have no problem with discussion of a stepped licensing system.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
What makes you think so? If the rider was out hooning it up, the displacement of the bike would better little. Even a 300cc starter bike can reach triple digit speeds and make a great armour piercing projectile.

P.S. I have no problem with discussion of a stepped licensing system.
Agreed a quick bike can be a bit of weapon, hence plastic missile's, but I still feel that a powerful 2.5 tonne car can be even more dangerous to other road users, not least motorcyclist's. Which is why I believe some sort of control over the people who drive such vehicles should be introduced, 'stepped' licensing or maybe compulsory advanced driving tests.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Agreed a quick bike can be a bit of weapon, hence plastic missile's, but I still feel that a powerful 2.5 tonne car can be even more dangerous to other road users, not least motorcyclist's. Which is why I believe some sort of control over the people who drive such vehicles should be introduced, 'stepped' licensing or maybe compulsory advanced driving tests.
It would be prudent to check which fatalities were caused by high HP/large vehicles, before passing new legislation.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
It would be prudent to check which fatalities were caused by high HP/large vehicles, before passing new legislation.
A system such as I have mentioned would involve masses amounts of research and legislation, but I'm just thinking back to the early 90's when there was a huge rise in the purchasing of Jap sports bikes and sadly enough a huge rise in motorcyclist's deaths as well.

Anyway my one and half year old grand daughter has just rocked up, so I've got to do christmas stuff :unsure:

Merry christmas all, and have a good one

21 - 40 of 77 Posts