Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took out my old 20 ball bearings top and bottom neck. I mic'ed the top at .996 ID & 2.095 OD. So far I havent got thehieght measured yet. The bottom is 1.064 ID and 2.095. Are these the measurments for the drop-in taperoll bearings? I was under the impression that the ID is the same on top and bottom. If anyone can measure a set for me I'd appreciate it, also I need the hieght of both bearings.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, I fitted tapper bearings to my TR6 on rebuild, I purchased them as a full kit from a good triumph spares supplier and they went straight in, unfortunatly as they are fitted I cant measure for you but I am sure if you buy a kit for your bike they will be ok

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I think you are going to have a hard time measuring the height of those bearing, Red because they are all loose parts. You would need a jig. My guess is the bearing height is a spec and they manufacture the races to achieve the correct height with 1/4" balls.

$44.00 for a set of bearings that you know will work is not a bad price. Not sure how much you would save buying generic roller bearings by size. You might get a deal if you buy Chinese brand. I have two bearing supply houses close to my home and still just ordered the kit for my bike today. I'm getting them thru a friend who is a dealer so we'll see if he's cheaper or more expensive. He gets most his stuff thru John Healy.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Okay, I was bored so I went out to see if I could measure the height of the bearings. Keep in mind this is for a '66 so not sure if different than your '59. Dimensions you gave are similar.

There are two races, inner and outer and 1/4 balls. Inner race carries the ID and outer race the OD for the bearing.

Height is the two put together with the balls (can you spell juggling act?). I managed to do it using a socket and a plastic lid to keep all the balls from scattering throughout the shop.

Lower Bearing
ID 1.062 inch
OD 2.094 inch
Assembled brg height - .600 nominal

Upper Bearing
Same except the ID is smaller due to the pressed in dust cover. ID with cover in place is 1.062 -0.080 = 0.982 inch. Is your dust cover in place, Red? It might be a bit thinner due to wear.

I measured the height with the dust cover in place and it measured about .040 more than the lower. My dust cover is about .040 thick material. So everything makes sense.

Bearings are identical. If you can get your dust cover out, you could press it into your new top bearing. I noticed that the conversion kit comes with the dust cover already installed.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I was bored so I went out to see if I could measure the height of the bearings. Keep in mind this is for a '66 so not sure if different than your '59. Dimensions you gave are similar.

There are two races, inner and outer and 1/4 balls. Inner race carries the ID and outer race the OD for the bearing.

Height is the two put together with the balls (can you spell juggling act?). I managed to do it using a socket and a plastic lid to keep all the balls from scattering throughout the shop.

Lower Bearing
ID 1.062 inch
OD 2.094 inch
Assembled brg height - .600 nominal

Upper Bearing
Same except the ID is smaller due to the pressed in dust cover. ID with cover in place is 1.062 -0.080 = 0.982 inch. Is your dust cover in place, Red? It might be a bit thinner due to wear.

I measured the height with the dust cover in place and it measured about .040 more than the lower. My dust cover is about .040 thick material. So everything makes sense.

Bearings are identical. If you can get your dust cover out, you could press it into your new top bearing. I noticed that the conversion kit comes with the dust cover already installed.

regards,
Rob
So the ID of the top bearing is actually the dust cover? And the dust cover ID is the actual bearing to stem contact areas? Thanks for pointing that out to me. I thought they were 2 different bearings because the part numbers are not the same. The top bearing comes with a dust cover. Mine is beat to crap. I'm not to thrilled about the taper drop-ins. I hope this decision does not take all Summer>hehee

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
You said, "So the ID of the top bearing is actually the dust cover?

Yes. The dust cover has a tubular section that presses into the ID of the inner race. So it becomes the ID surface of the bearing.

And the dust cover ID is the actual bearing to stem contact areas?"

Correct, at least on my bike.

I could not understand why the roller bearing kit came with a dust cover. Seemed overkill to me. Just use the old one. But when I went to measure up my bearings, this was the first time that I actually looked close enough to notice that the cover is pressed into the ID of the race. So, my guess is they do the same on the tapered roller kit. My guess is most end up mangling the old dust cover trying to get it out of the old race.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
847 Posts
I took out my old 20 ball bearings top and bottom neck. I mic'ed the top at .996 ID & 2.095 OD. So far I havent got thehieght measured yet. The bottom is 1.064 ID and 2.095. Are these the measurments for the drop-in taperoll bearings? I was under the impression that the ID is the same on top and bottom. If anyone can measure a set for me I'd appreciate it, also I need the hieght of both bearings.
I bought a drop-in tapered roller bearing set from LowBrow Customs in the USA, and fitted them to my '59. Some care was required in fitting them in the steering neck, but they went in OK in the end.

I have about 2,000 miles on them with no issues. I am in the process of replacing the Trophy/ '68 mixed front end with a '59 Thunderbird nacelle setup. So far the trial fit looks as if the nacelle will fit correctly with the tapered rollers in place.

When I finish, I'll post the result in my build thread.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Neil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts