Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Quick question for you guys and girls - Is a steering lock fitted as standard to a 79 Triumph Bonneville?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replying to myself i guess but found out from the original owner no steering lock fitted to it, must have been an optional extra for the 79.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
There should be a lock fitted under the lower yoke as standard. I doubt if it was an optional extra but I'd need to check my handbook. The 79 featured a boasted about lockable seat so I doubt they would not have fitted the fork lock - it just makes the bike biuld too complicated

people removed them if they broke or lost the key. They are obtainable.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
The steering lock is standard on all T140/TR7's. There is a little grub screw on the housing which is covered up with a small piece of lead which has to be dug out to reveal the grub screw.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks fellas, i guess as stated its been removed! No big issue will repalce if i see it necessary, i live out of town and it will be in a locked shed so all good security wise.

I was more concerned for when it gets collected for freight that the keys were mailed and they might not have been able to wheel it to the truck etc.

All good, and a great site have been reading for days now :)

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
They're not much cop, as the scum would just yank the bars and snap the lock.

You're better off with a big chain. I have a drilled front disc and keep meaning to buy a disc lock

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
They're not much cop, as the scum would just yank the bars and snap the lock.

You're better off with a big chain. I have a drilled front disc and keep meaning to buy a disc lock
I find the lock adds a bit of security and ease of mind.
A casual opportunist may be put-off with steering locked fully left lock.
If scum wants to steal a bike, they would whatever.
Bolt cutters, van, crane, etc.
Maybe an audible alarm would be more of a deterrent in a public place?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts