Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'bought a '78 tiger last fall and it didn't come with the fork lock key. I bought a new lock, but don't know how to get the old one out. PLEASE don't tell me put the key in it turn it and push in on the little divet pin?

·
6,619 Posts
Hi Brian,

'78 tiger
fork lock
bought a new lock, but don't know how to get the old one out. PLEASE don't tell me put the key in it turn it and push in on the little divet pin?
The procedure you've described is for the ignition lock.

Otoh, you're talking about the lock in the top yoke; when the forks are turned fully to the left, you can press the lock down and a shaft on its bottom passes through a hole in bracket on the frame by the top steering bearing?

If so, the lock's secured in the yoke by a small grubscrew covered by a 'soft metal' (originally lead) plug, neither illustrated in the parts book afaict ... plus the plug itself will likely be (was originally) covered by the yoke paint. Unless someone posts the plug's position before, I'll be home tonight and I'll see if I can see it on my bikes. Otherwise you need to strip the yoke paint/powder-coat to see the plug, then dig it out, then unscrew the grubscrew and the lock can be changed.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brian,

The procedure you've described is for the ignition lock.

Otoh, you're talking about the lock in the top yoke; when the forks are turned fully to the left, you can press the lock down and a shaft on its bottom passes through a hole in bracket on the frame by the top steering bearing?

If so, the lock's secured in the yoke by a small grubscrew covered by a 'soft metal' (originally lead) plug, neither illustrated in the parts book afaict ... plus the plug itself will likely be (was originally) covered by the yoke paint. Unless someone posts the plug's position before, I'll be home tonight and I'll see if I can see it on my bikes. Otherwise you need to strip the yoke paint/powder-coat to see the plug, then dig it out, then unscrew the grubscrew and the lock can be changed.

Hth.

Regards,
Thanks StuartMac ,sorry it took me this long to get back at ya, haven't had a chance to take the grub screw out yet, but I did find it thanks to you! once i get it out do I push the lock up?

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Thanks StuartMac ,sorry it took me this long to get back at ya, haven't had a chance to take the grub screw out yet, but I did find it thanks to you! once i get it out do I push the lock up?
Yes

Once the lock is removed the key number will be stamped on the lock cylinder.

K

1 - 4 of 4 Posts