Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not to steal anyone's thunder, but I thought I'd look for a source to have headset wrenches made in the US for the Thunderbird if someone can provide a sketch or template of the dimensions, and if there is interest.

Shipping across the pond a bit costly, so I thought maybe something could be done here.

And those committed to IRLMike, by all means, carry on because mine are still a notion in development.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Not to steal anyone's thunder, but I thought I'd look for a source to have headset wrenches made in the US for the Thunderbird if someone can provide a sketch or template of the dimensions, and if there is interest.

Shipping across the pond a bit costly, so I thought maybe something could be done here.
I should be getting the batch on Tuesday & including 1 for Bbogie & the others spoken for, I'll have three spares available. Post to US will be €9-20 (for 1 or 2, the same), insured, track & trace. This thread recently:

http://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/104058-steering-head-spanner-tool.html

Beemie, if you PM your email, I can send you dimensions etc.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information.
Now let's see...I've been accused of using titanium in building designs so maybe this should be exotic.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I have bicycle head wrenches.
They aren't nearly that big.
Totally agree, I looked at that too.

I have just two spanners left of the batch I got made - see my other recent thread on this. €15 for 1, €27 for two plus shipping. I expect with shipping these are more attractive to folks in europe, tho' some have gone to the US.

All who said they'd buy have followed thru' - thankyou all. I would make a loss if I couldn't sell them all, I'm sure these last two will find a home.

The maintenance schedule says check steering head play every 3,000 miles, a much neglected job I bet (me included), much likely to lead to earlier wear of the bearings. The two spanners make this job a piece of cake.

BTW Ed, mine ended up made from 4.5mm plate & work fine. I couldn't get my calipers perfect on the nuts in situ, so my earlier measurement was a little conservative. I'd say now the nuts are 5mm thick.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
BTW Ed, mine ended up made from 4.5mm plate & work fine. I couldn't get my calipers perfect on the nuts in situ, so my earlier measurement was a little conservative. I'd say now the nuts are 5mm thick.

Cheers
Mike
Thanks,
We don't use metric here in our fabrication and construction world, so that's probably going to be 7 gage or maybe 3/16".
I'm hoping the shop tells me that he has a piece of stainless steel hanging around.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Seems a little head of steam developing.

I'll get it drawn and see what my fabricator has to say about pricing.
Give me a little time.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Head bearings adjusted, initial signs of wear..

I've just adjusted the head bearings on my Legend. Simple job with the spanners (wrenches) I had made. Just remove the tank, loosen the top yoke nut (30mm), loosen the top yoke clamps & slide top yoke up a few mm. No need to disassemble handlebars or anything. Lift front wheel off the ground with a jack under the engine, rear supported on centre stand or pit stand.

There's a very slight notching to be felt at the straight ahead angle which indicates some wear, so new bearings soon.

Only 11,000 miles from new, so can't help thinking this adjustment, ~ 1/8 turn, should have been done much earlier, checked every 3,000 miles by the schedule, & the bearings would still be ok :mad:.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts