Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I did the 500 mile service on my T-100.
While checking the adjustment of the steering head bearing preload, I recalled that my Harley had a grease fitting on the frame tube for the steering head. This allowed you to lube the bearings without having to take the whole front end apart.
This SEEMS like a good idea to me.
I suppose, to make sure you didn't end up with drill shavings in the bottom bearing, you'd have to do the drill and tap bit with the front end off anyway. But, after that, you'd be able to keep things nice and greasy up there with much less effort.
Has anyone else tried this, and, if so, how did it go for you?
Bob

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm not sure how the bearing races/bearings are arranged on a late model HD, but considering the way their arranged on the Triumph there would be no point in doing this.

You might get some grease to drip down to the lower bearing, but mostly you'd just be filling up the void between the bearing races.

·
Registered
705 Posts
justbrian, that void has a big oval hole in the back, between the gussets, on my America. That could get real messy.

Now I'm curious about my recently acquired HD project that's in storage because I have no space...

Roger

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Adjustment and greasing of steering head bearings is critical and a common source of steering issues. Back in the early nineties I bought a 1960 BMW R60. The previous owner stated that the front wheel was out of round, causing the dodgy steering I experienced during my test ride. Well, the price was right, so I bought it and after replacing the front rim I found the steering issues persisted. Upon taking apart the steering head I found that the bearings had been over-tightened and the grease had turned to varnish. I installed well greased tapered roller bearings and adjusted it by the book and the bike handled without vice. I can't imagine how long this steering problem existed, just because this guy failed to service this critical part in the suspension. This has become one of those items (along with the swingarm pivots) that I pay strict attention to...

·
29,945 Posts
Steering head overtightening is a common misadjustment.

I don't think there is a way to get a grease nipple on the steering stem that would do any good - as others said you simply end up filling the empty space with grease.

You don't need to regrease those bearings that often, the key is to not overtighten them.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I have not removed the head bearings yet but I would think they are sealed bearings. Even the high speed wheel bearings are sealed now and are NOT serviceable.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts