Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has installed the NORMAN HYDE STEERING DAMPER, from New Bonneville?

I've been seriously considering this steering damper, but have no experience with them what-so-ever. Would a fork brace be a recommended installation in conjunction with the damper?

Any tips or first-hand information will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I know one person who felt that it didn't mount up well, and it made him feel uneasy about it being there...... I don't know.
I know there are others who INSIST that modern bikes don't need them, and still more people who claim to have had head shake upon crossing RR tracks, bumps, at high speed, etc.

Well...... Thruxton racers with their thousands of dollars worth of suspension upgrades, frequently include a steering damper in the mix. But have you looked at the SIZE of the steering damper they put on their bikes!?!?!

I thought that I've had occasion where I assume a damper would have arrested an occasional wiggle, but that was on my last Bonnie. THIS Bonnie had it's frame blue printed, I've got suspension components specific for my weight and riding style, and custom alloy wheels possibly true'er than factory. But I'm sure my head bearings haven't been tightened down enough, and they're sure as hell not TOO tight.... gotta address that some day.
Thing is, this bike (unlike my last Bonnie) has never wiggled, wandered, wobbled, or even HINTED at getting squirrelly. I still think that a steering damper would look cool, but like my NH fork brace..... it would just be a cosmetic addition.
That's MY take on racing parts for civilian bikes......

·
Registered
258 Posts
The dampers are required on all race bikes-I don't believe you need one on a Thruxton for the street. In fact, I have to have the one on my race Thruxton(an LSL one) turned to it's lightest position to prevent it from causing low speed weave problems-similar in feel to having your steering head bearings too tight. If it wasn't required, I would sell it to you in a heartbeat! :razz:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I installed the damper on my Thrux. I have to admit I did it as a precaution more than a solution. I have found that when you start to mess around with lowering the triple clamps and changing the tire height it effects the steering and this will usually manifest itself when you least expect it to.( Read tank slapper at 130mhp).
On my other bikes I have noticed that the front end might come up exiting a corner and the damper helps the front tire come down in the same line as it when up. While I have not had this problem with my Thruxton, I still have hope.
The installation( Norman Hyde) went on without a problem. The clamp that connects to the frame is not pretty, but it is strong.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys,

I sure don't want to spend that kind of money for something that's not gonna be a major improvement. I guess I don't want that steering damper now after all. Not sure how I could have sneaked it by the Mrs. anyway. :razz:

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I've fitted the NH damper and recommend it. I've dropped the forks 25mm and have stiffer custom springs and Traxxion cartridge emulators up front. It's a simple install and looks the part. The front is transformed. the NH damper is fairly basic with only 6 settings but it's quite adequate for the Thrux.

As for the fork brace: I don't believe you need it on the Thrux unless you fit significantly improved brakes like a 6 pot. (not just better pads).

[ This message was edited by: setts on 2007-03-13 08:25 ]

G

·
Hi I have both the steering damper and fork brace on my 06 thruxton . The steering damper will save your arse if you ride hard on bumpy roads especially if you have up graded your suspension. I have Ikon alloy gas shox and progressive rate forks springs and it rides as if it were on rails .

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
setts, Pedro... thank you guys. I have in fact upgraded my suspension and also ride some pretty bumpy roads. After the progressive springs went in the forks is when I started noticing the front end wanting to jump around a little.

Hmmm... steering damper might be needed after all, but fork brace not required. I can do that... I've got the money in PayPal now. NewBonneville.com here I come!!! :-D

G

·
Hi when you fit the steering damper check that the spacer which fits between the bracket and the bottom triple clamp is deep enough. I had to make one approx 2mm deeper . I noticed as i tightened the bolt the bracket securing the damper to the forks was fouling on the triple clamp before it became tight . This could either crack the bracket or allow he bolt to work loose due to vibration. I mentioned this to the dealer and he assured me he would consult the manufacturer. Regards Pedro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts