Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been researching the Tiger Models, and understand the nicknames.

Roadie: Road type
Girlie: Dolly Parton tank

But why are the early Tigers called Steamers??

Andy

·
Registered
229 Posts
When the Hinckley Triumphs made their debut I think the "Steamer" nickname originally was meant to clarify that you were referring to a Hinckley water cooled Tiger vs. an old Meriden air cooled Tiger.

The second gen Hinckley Tiger (955cc) is nicknamed the "girlie" due to it's wasp waist figure of wider up front and in the rear with a narrow waist in the middle (when viewed from above).

Further research with a few mates and appropriate beverages would yield additional explanations. TGIF!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Some different ideas above about how the girlie name came to be. My understanding is that it was the eyebrows above the headlamps.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Some different ideas above about how the girlie name came to be. My understanding is that it was the eyebrows above the headlamps.
Ditto on the eyebrows. Plus the bulbous tank, feminine curves / rounded lines probably helped in naming it "girlie".

I think "steamer" came after the girlie came out to distinguish the refined vs. "manly" lines of the the carbed 855 dual sport.

Regardless, the steamers are fine motorcycles, which, IMHO, are the best looking big trailies ever made.

We all know that the "girlies" are less trail oriented and more road oriented (out of the box), especially the 2005-2006 girlie models.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts