Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went out on a limb and bought this tiger, the guy i bought it off said it has a head gasket issue (bad running and water coming from expansion tank) got it home and put battery on charge, fired it up on choke (running sweet) till i tried to rev it, would only run with choke on, also when i checked the coolant level it only took about half a coffee mug (would have thought being stood for 2 years with head gasket failure it would be empty) the rad cap seems real loose fit as well so i am now assuming the spring is shot in the cap, i have stripped the carbs (full of gunk and crap) also found one diaphragm has a hole in, so i have ordered new diaphragms and a rad cap, when these arrive i can get the bike running and make sure my theory on the rad cap is right, if the link works to my photobucket there should be fotos below :wink2:

http://s170.photobucket.com/user/bigjay-vtr/tiger project/story

·
Registered
852 Posts
Bad diaphragms would definitely cause poor running. I had a rad cap fail on an old car of mine-turned out to be a loose spring too. Good luck with it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update ,,, the diaphragms,and rad cap arrived yesterday, all fitted and the bike runs a dream no spewing water out of the header tank and a good tickover now the carbs are balanced, cooling fan works all lights and horn work, just need to fettle rear brake and service the old brute, then get stuck into the paintwork

·
Registered
852 Posts
:) Sounds good. How many miles are on it? I had an 885 Trophy which had almost 80000 (nearly) trouble free miles on it, so these engines are pretty bullet proof. I had one of the coils fail but that was pretty much it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its showing 28000 on the clock, i think it was one of the last batch of 885 carb models made but it wasn't registered till 1999 although it states year of manufacture as 1999, so that does puzzle me unless i was informed wrong that the carb model stopped at 1997

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i have been busy, i am just waiting for float bowl seals to arrive and then it should be all done,here is how it looks now
(if the link works

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, that's a massive seat(Corbin?). after coming from sport's bike i couldn't believe the weight of the tiger.. mine's going on a diet :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts