Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to determine the specific "type" of plastic used in construction of the 1994-1998 Triumph Tiger fuel tanks? I've heard that Triumph "farmed" the manufacture out to Acerbis, but I've been unable to confirm this. I've got a fuel tank leak and depending on the type of plastic used, my options to seal the tank are limited...Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi mate, not sure what the actual material is but I had to repair my own tank. I use JB Weld which I obtain from a place on ebay. It's a two part filler and worked fine. Still leak free!! Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate, not sure what the actual material is but I had to repair my own tank. I use JB Weld which I obtain from a place on ebay. It's a two part filler and worked fine. Still leak free!! Good luck.

I'm glad that JB Weld worked for you - I tried it some months ago and it held for approx. 3 weeks - then started leaking again. I've found some internal fuel tank sealer that will work on most types of plastic fuel tanks, but not all - hence my query...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I peeled all the paint off my Tiger tank before repainting, and it looks and feels nothing like the plastic used in the three Acerbis tanks I've had. The Tiger tank isn't as uniform, it's almost "grainy" for lack of a better term. Not being an expert, but it doesn't seem to be injection molded like the Acerbis tanks and is lots thicker. How's that for a long non-answer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
self inflicted hole

My recently aquired 98 steamer had a siezed faring bolt high up on the tank thankfully... really siezed, despite drilling the head off still ended up pulling the insert out in trying to free it. Result is a hole where the insert used to be. got a local shop to make a new flanged bush to give me plenty of surface area to glue it back in but now have the same question what is a good adhesive to effect the repair.

Did note the plastic is glass filled that probbably account for the grainy finish described.

On mine if you take the atnk off and turn it over you will see lots of info moulded in. Triumph & Acerbis logos so that confirm manufacture. But the important bit is the Recycle section which says it is PA6 which is a type of nylon (polyimide)

If you find a adhesive that is suitable please post as it will help me too.

AK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My recently aquired 98 steamer had a siezed faring bolt high up on the tank thankfully... really siezed, despite drilling the head off still ended up pulling the insert out in trying to free it. Result is a hole where the insert used to be. got a local shop to make a new flanged bush to give me plenty of surface area to glue it back in but now have the same question what is a good adhesive to effect the repair.

Did note the plastic is glass filled that probbably account for the grainy finish described.

On mine if you take the atnk off and turn it over you will see lots of info moulded in. Triumph & Acerbis logos so that confirm manufacture. But the important bit is the Recycle section which says it is PA6 which is a type of nylon (polyimide)

If you find a adhesive that is suitable please post as it will help me too.

AK
I believe we have a winner here! Thanks all for the replies...had just gotten back from my local Triumph dealer where the service manager had placed a call to tech support for Triumph NA - all they could tell him was it was made of nylon - which seemed odd when I heard it an hour ago, but looking at the response above, makes sense. I'm looking for a internal sealer and have found one will supposedly works on all plastics EXCEPT for polyethlene <sp>. I will research the polyimide to verify it's not in the same family. Naturally the Triumph rep advised to replace the tank outright due to liability reasons...if I had a spare $900 to 1000 laying around, I'd think about it.

akendall1966 - in response to your predicament - my service manager recommended that I use 2-part plastic epoxy/weld to secure the "insert" back in - that's what he would do if the bike was brought into his shop and most likely what I'll do after I've sealed the tank. JB Weld didn't work for me - didn't adhere/stick to the insert (perhaps because I believe it was stainless steel, etc.) and eventually cracked again...as always your YMMV...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts