Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I been looking around in the forum, but couldn't find anything exact about what to do to the T400 engine.

For starters, I driven the Tiger 900, 855i, 955i and the 1050, and I found that I preferred the good old steamer.

Now I am experiencing a bit of noise from my clutch and valve / cam-chain, so I was thinking of a rebuild.

But, what can you put in her to give her more power. Anyone got some links of what to do.
I was thinking about higher compression, other cams, other carbs and a larger exhaust system.
Anyone got any experience ?

Once I found a German homepage, where the owner claimed a 100+ hp on the rear wheel. He had higher compression, cams from a 595i (Should be the same as 955 :/) and injectors from a 955i on it. The injectors will be a bit too much thou, because of the fairly simple wiring on the Steamer.

So if anyone knows what parts are swapable from other models onto the T400 please let me know.

Cheers.......... And sorry if it was just me, that couldn't find it on the forum ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Only mod I ever did was Sprint cams and a carb kit. I also still have the sprint ECU which I never fitted but it was noticeably quicker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice to know ;) Cheers..

Did it give more low end torq as well? . Not that the engine is lacking that standard, but you know... MORE ... MOOORE ;)

So you fitted a pair of Sprint cams and a jet kit... Any chances to the airfilter box or exhaust ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here's what I did and IMO it's the best bang for buck.
Sprint cams, dynojet carb kit for Sprint, and locally made replacement exhausts. I left the air inlet standard except for my own mod of adding a side panel snorkel to avoid the Tigers dusty under fender inlet (Single inlet unlike the Sprint). I never got around to fitting the Sprint ECU (still have it) as someone pestered me to sell the bike to him before I fitted the ECU. Performance was really good and no easily noticeable loss of bottom end torque. I never bothered with head mods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok cheers for the info ;) ... I'll better go ebaying to find the parts, so i can get a bit more grunt out of the old steamer;) ...Tho' i am still impressed that it is better all-round bike then the newer tigers :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok cheers for the info ;) ... I'll better go ebaying to find the parts, so i can get a bit more grunt out of the old steamer;) ...Tho' i am still impressed that it is better all-round bike then the newer tigers :p
I've been considering a similar thing, I now have a set of T595 cams sat beside me on my desk...

I'm a little concerned about the extra lift, as there's 2mm more on these than standard. They run on the same bucket and shim arrangement as the 885 Tiger, so have no worries about them going straight in otherwise.

And I've got the option on a set of T595 Pistons and Liners. I've heard they will fit in with some meat taken off the base diameter of the liners.

Main concern... head gasket! Not sure the standard one will fit with the extra bore size. It depends how much bigger the standard head gasket is over the bore size.

Oh, and I have a spare engine to build it up into... only needs a Sprag Clutch replacement to make it good ;)

Any thoughts and input would be greatly received

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gsdbd34-->Cheers, I know about the cam-chain noise, I repaired a few triumph 3's, one of them a 595i, that overheated without the owner seeing it, it had the sound as well, and BANG .. New pistons and head..
Killahedgehog--> Huum that sounds interesting, gonna end up as a super steamer ;) .. We'll best keep in contact about our projects :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts