Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding home from work in the morning, I'm having problems with my 06 Scrambler surging at steady throttle. I'ts about 42 degrees on the ride and this is my second spring with the bike, bought last year. I don't remember it being this cold blooded. Are all Triumph twins like this? Bike is stock, no changes to pipes or intake.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Surging is usually an indication that the bike is running lean. Might need to dig into the carbs a bit. Try opening up the mixture screws half a turn and see what that does for you.

·
30,527 Posts
Any chance of blockage anywhere? My bike surged and ran poorly (but REALLY REALLY poorly - so it's unlikely that in your case) when a mouse made a nest in the air filter. Check for blocked vent hoses as well maybe?

My bike never ran poorly on cold er mornings like that. Could well be that pokeyjoe is right, a slight adjustement of the D screws might well sort it for you.

Is it surging when the temp rises, or is this only on the cold mornings - if so then it is likely just a little lean on the mixture screw.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
what pro said + check your vac plugs if they are cracked it will run lean and cause that to.

·
30,527 Posts
It's not that - our minnesota mice are speed demons! :D

Nah last year was a crappy spring. I pulled the bike out of storage, rode it, then snow moved back in and I couldn't ride for 2 weeks.

I go start the bike - ride down the road - running like crap! Go back home and find the little bugga has made a nice home for himself inside the stock filter! :mad:

All sorted now though, pulled the airbox off - nowhere left for them to hide! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I had the same surge on my 07 bonnie at 45-50mph. I put 1 shim (1/2mm) under each needle. Problem gone. These things are set very lean from the factory and usually need a little massaging.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
It's not that - our minnesota mice are speed demons! :D

Nah last year was a crappy spring. I pulled the bike out of storage, rode it, then snow moved back in and I couldn't ride for 2 weeks.

I go start the bike - ride down the road - running like crap! Go back home and find the little bugga has made a nice home for himself inside the stock filter! :mad:

All sorted now though, pulled the airbox off - nowhere left for them to hide! :thumbsup:
some one call peta pro is being mean to mice rideing them around scareing the heck out of the little bugger

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Prop,

Let it now be known that this was the real reason behind the Airbox mod's as done by Ventura, myself, JohnyC and others. It provides flow-through ventilation with the dual entry to the filter, and by gutting out the 'boxes interior, we provide ample, yet comfortable living space for our furry friends.

Mike's right; somebody should call one of the anti-cruelty tree-huggers and turn you in!

Should we now develop a rating for "Mouse-Power"? With the pod set-up, you'll now require two!

Bob

·
30,527 Posts
I wasn't being mean, I was providing new life experiences to the little guy!

On 1 mousepower the bike doesn't go so well unfortunately. I figured if I put in a larger turny wheel I'd get more low end torque though. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts