Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

A few months back I did the reg rec mod where it's wired straight to the battery. I thought that as it was getting dark earlier and I had also put a couple of led headlights on now, that I could use all the juice I could get.
It was a revelation, 13.2v with all the lights on and no more bogging/hesitation when going from idle to full throttle.

Lately when I start it the voltage climbs very slowly 12.1... 12.2... that slow. But as soon as there is a load like a side light, the voltage falls on it's arse, sub 12 is normal. If I keep the revs up 5k and up, I can have 1 headlight on but if the revs fall to 2.5 to 3k then it's sub 12 volt.

Yesterday I swapped for a known good battery and there was no change (I checked when I bought the bigger MotoBat battery and it was 12 months and 2 weeks previously so no warranty claim,bugger). I also tried 3 other reg rec's including the standard one wired in through the loom as standard, no change.

So now I'm looking at the stator. I thought I had one but can't find it anywhere. Are there any other bikes that you can use the stator from? I've got access to a VFR800 a TL1000s and a Honda Firestorm for reference.

Any idea's,Cheers.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Why don't you check the stator with a meter. Disconnect the stator from the R/R and test one of the three pins from the stator side to battery ground with the meter set to Ohms. There should be no continuity to ground, an open circuit. You can test the other two pins, but not necessary. Then leaving the R/R disconnected, run the engine at idle and at higher rpm and meter the AC voltage between any two pairs of pins. You have three pairs to check and compare. Easier than looking for another stator to test. Check all the wiring and the connector to the R/R for melting or corrosion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately my multi meter died last week and I haven't got around to replacing it hence the rather "round the houses" approach to diagnosing the issue.

Will see if I can borrow one tomorrow and give your method a go, cheers for responding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update, one of the winding's on the stator is black so it's duff. I had a look at cheap alternatives and found a recommendation for a ZX6 stator so ordered one £20, bargain. It doesn't fit. This morning after a nippy night I heard a metallic ping noise. Water pump has sheared off the lugs on the shaft so no water pump and no electrics. Aren't bikes great!

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Did you ever test the stator pins to battery ground? The stator should be isolated from ground. Darkening doesn't necessarily mean it's toast. The upper coils don't see as much oil as the lower ones and don't benefit as much from the cooling. You might need a stator, but the isolation test would confirm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Felony, I tested the voltage coming out of the stator, under the impression that all 3 winding's/wires should show about 20 volt? One was 0, totally dead, one was 4 volts and the last one was about 8 volts.

I'm sorry the pictures aren't great but on the one with the stator in the housing, in real life that one lobe is deep black and smells burnt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts