Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... long story short.

I had a little run in with some sand in a corner, and layed my bike down.
I shredded the alternator cover, (ground a hole thru it).

At first glance I thought the damage was limited to the cover, so I purchased a new cover.
Today, I got my part and started the replacement... and LOW AND BEHOLD... pieces of the cover plate broke off, and flew inside, and got caught in the stator... shredding the crap out of the rotor.

My issue... I cannot for the life of me figure out how to pull the nut that afixes the rotor, it just turns the entire rotor every time I try. I have wedged the gear but that thing is just REALLY TIGHT,(I have lifted my bike up trying to get the bolt to let go) .... or, perhaps I am just turning it the wrong way. So... my questions

1) Is my assumption of lefty loosey incorrect?
2) Is this thing factory set with lock tight or some such item?
3) Do I need a special tool to pull it out?
4) Should I just take my S3 to the shop, and let them deal with the hassle of this?

Thanks,
A

·
Registered
151 Posts
Triumph tool T3880375, or a strap wrench to hold the rotor with, The factory manuel doesn't specify left hand threads, so i'm gonna say lefty loosy, it is torqued to 105nm. and you need T3380203 or an equivelent to pull the rotor off the taper on the crankshaft.

good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up... i will call the dealership tomorrow... see if they have what I need.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JESUS!!

750$ for the rotor alone!

Anyone have any ideas on where I might find this part, possibly from a wrecked bike someone may be parting out?

Thanks,
A

·
Registered
360 Posts
..yeah, the sator and rotor for the S3 is kinda spendy, mine went last autumn...thank god I got the extended warranty which took care of everything (and immediately paid for itself twice over..)

I heard talk some time back that there were aftermarket sources that sold a compatible sator that would fit the S3 nicely, this was some time back so I dont recall the details but it was a discussion much like yours: some guys sator died and sticker shock from the stock caused him to persue other sources and he found one supposedly it was a very high quality unit that worked superbly and cost 1/3 the price of a stock sator/rotor combo or nears about.

Dont want to start any issues because I truly dont recall much details....and thinking out loud here...it just might have been for the D675 come to think of it..hmm...take with grain of salt please..memory is frakked right now..

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Aha! Found it, I dont know if all the info is still viable but follow and read this thread and check it out for yerself.

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25774

hope it helps..
Electrosport is junk in my opinion - don't do it.
RicksmotorsportElectrics for a much better quality item.

The rotor seems to be OP's main concern right now however.
Can only suggest you try Sandy at Triumph-ant - he's World's biggest Trumph breaker.

Also - be sure when you replace the cover that you have the seals installed in the breather outlet - don't believe that comes with the cover!

·
Registered
360 Posts

Can only suggest you try Sandy at Triumph-ant - he's World's biggest Trumph breaker.

Also - be sure when you replace the cover that you have the seals installed in the breather outlet - don't believe that comes with the cover!
care to elaborate? Or does 'junk' spell it out simply enough?

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Personal experience and also that of many others, including many members of this site (search on ElectroSport). You will find poor quality & performance reports widely throughout the motorcycle community at large.
Their only asset is their apparent availability & price vs OEM - a little digging will find better alternatives however, including the reference I gave above, of which I also have personal experience - for the positive!

They still persist on advertising 'one size fits all triples' when they KNOW this is not true - locked my motor solid when I took their word for it and installed without checking the dimensions - sure it will bolt in but jammed up the rotor lock tight in my Daytona!
But their quality is the biggest issue - they do not perform to OEM specs and mortality rate is very high - going by others reports. After three attempts to get me something that would even meet the physical specs, I gave up on them. To their credit they did refund me but I wasted a couple of weeks. Their Technical Support was not knowlegable in my exchanges with them.

·
Registered
360 Posts
explanation very much appreciated!

I was eyballing them as a source for the time down the road if/when my new OEM sator/rotor were to fail. Other than your other reference, this is the only other source I know of and like their site states, their sator is of the finest quality...but who wouldnt say that.

Your personal experience and description helps immensely..

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Plus dittos wot DEcosse said about e'sport.

I speak from personal misfortune with their rectifier/regulators.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

So, I got the seals... but... breather outlet.. not sure I am understanding what that means? Clearly I am missing something.

A

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Personal experience and also that of many others, including many members of this site (search on ElectroSport). You will find poor quality & performance reports widely throughout the motorcycle community at large.
Their only asset is their apparent availability & price vs OEM - a little digging will find better alternatives however, including the reference I gave above, of which I also have personal experience - for the positive!

They still persist on advertising 'one size fits all triples' when they KNOW this is not true - locked my motor solid when I took their word for it and installed without checking the dimensions - sure it will bolt in but jammed up the rotor lock tight in my Daytona!
But their quality is the biggest issue - they do not perform to OEM specs and mortality rate is very high - going by others reports. After three attempts to get me something that would even meet the physical specs, I gave up on them. To their credit they did refund me but I wasted a couple of weeks. Their Technical Support was not knowlegable in my exchanges with them.
Good info...

Currently, I don't need to replace the stator... though I was contemplating, since I have it all ripped apart right now.. "why not upgrade to a higher output stator..."

Now that I hear there stuff is junk, I will not be purchasing... I was looking at them prior to reading all of info from you guys.

Thanks much

A

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
So, I got the seals... but... breather outlet.. not sure I am understanding what that means? Clearly I am missing something...
No - it's me - sorry, I assumed (always dangerous!) that this was same as the 02-04, but breather is no longer on the cover on your model as it was on those earlier models.
So ignore that 'advice' :p

Moderator hat on - Can you do me a favour and revisit your UserCP and put your year/model under 'favourite bike' - helps give instant recognition for others to what your referring when asking questions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No - it's me - sorry, I assumed (always dangerous!) that this was same as the 02-04, but breather is no longer on the cover on your model as it was on those earlier models.
So ignore that 'advice' :p

Moderator hat on - Can you do me a favour and revisit your UserCP and put your year/model under 'favourite bike' - helps give instant recognition for others to what your referring when asking questions.
Totally will....

Thanks again for all the advice.

A

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Saga continues

And it just gets better... now my local dealer is telling me (after they have charged me to order the part btw) that the rotor is out of stock at Triumph with no ETA ... GAWD!!! Will the pain never end??

:)
A

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, I went with DEcosse's advice and contacted Triumph-ant. He shipped me a rotor, but ended up being the wrong size.

I have been trying to get ahold of him now for about a week, and am not getting any response. Is anyone on the forum in the UK, or know the shop enough to tell me if they are out on vacation?

I am more than happy to pay the shipping back and forth, I just want to get the part.

Thanks for any help.

A

1 - 18 of 18 Posts