Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any military folks stationed in Germany?
I could soon, be coming up on orders for Germany, and I'm wondering if anyone has had a hard time registering their bikes there. Or at least, anything that Bonnie06Tangerine describes upon arrival in Japan.
When I was previous in Germany, I had a much older bike, and it was a matter of just checking if the horn and lights worked. (Maybe a little more...)
But I got a new Thruxton now, and I was thinking of putting Predator pipes on. Though, I'm unsure now that this possibility has come up of moving to Germany.
Wondering if: with new bikes do they check emissions and noise levels?
As I recall zee Germans were pretty uptight with their vehicles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nothing too crazy... But it depends on the base. Here in Bamberg the guy HAS to have something going under the table for repair work. But aside from that, they are more difficult concerning cars. If you are interested, I can stop by and grab a copy of the inspection sheet for you. Pm if interested.

And yes, they check for noise levels. But unless you have a Harley with Vance & Hines, ou should be ok... Keep the stock pipes though to swap out for the inspection.

Steve

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I was there a couple of years ago and had no trouble with my V-65 Magna. You aren't subject to the German vehicle inspection, and USAREUR wasn't all that difficult. It depends on where you are though. Heidelberg was much stricter than Mannheim.

Even if you have a motorcycle dirvers license and have taken the safety course you'll have to take it again in Germany. I had my motorcycle safety card from the states, and one from the Navy in Guantanamo Bay, and still had to take the safety course again in Germany.

Have fun. Germany can be a great experience and lots of fun on the Autobahn when you come to unrestricted speed areas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts