Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hi all
Thanks all for your interest.
Peg- I haven't rebuilt the engine since I got the Bonnie- feels like I've fixed everything else though! I was well pleased when I got the engine going but back to square one now! I have a spark and think it is in the right place, the Pazon hasn't been touched since the engine was running. The fuel is new, 99 octane stuff. I've rechecked the valves, they're OK. I'll check the torque on the head bolts as you suggest and a compression test as well I think.
Sorry, when you put "restoration" in your original post, I wrongly assumed that the engine had been rebuilt.
Regards
Peg.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi Peg
I have 120 psi in the left cylinder and 125 in the right. I don't know if that's good or not, can you help?
Also are the cylinder head bolts you refer to the four big ones at the top either side of the spark plug holes?
When I looked for torque settings I found different settings for outer, centre and inner cylinder head bolts so I'm a bit confused!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Forgot to say I just screwed the compression gauge into each cylinder and kicked her over about 6 times

·
Registered
97 Posts
Compressions are fine, for a cold engine - the same engine once warmed up would probably produce a healthy 150 per side. This means there are no problems with valve operation, pushrods dislodged or anything like that. Non-starting is then only caused by 1) fuel or 2) spark.

There are actually 10 head bolts altogether, so all of them need to be retorqued, four of them are obvious looking at the top of the motor, 4 of them are accessed through the rocker boxes and 2 of them are to be seen right in the centreline of the motor. You need a good Workshop Manual to explain all this and the different torque figures on the different sized head bolts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi all
Thanks for your help- starting fine now. Turned out to be a faulty Pazon electronic ignition. Only a few months old! To be fair they sent me a new one straight away.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts