Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've been hopping on the bike and trying to fire with no avail. One crank and that's it. I recently replaced the battery and thought that would do the trick, but clearly it not that cause I've had to charge it up twice now. What could possibly be draining it? Where do I start? This is super annoying.

Other that that, it runs great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If it is starting up when the battery is freshly charged and then doesn't second time around it seems the battery is faulty and cant hold its charge. Are you using a trickle charger?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it started doing this with my old battery and even crapped out on me after I had been riding for 45 minutes on the freeway. So I replaced the battery with a brand new one and it fired up fine. But now when it sits for a few days it doesn't have enough to crank over again. It has a brand new battery now. So this is happening with 2 different batteries. And yes, I am using a trickle charger to charge it back up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If the bike died while running on the freeway then you may have a problem with your charging system. Sounds like you have a short somewhere which is draining the battery and your charging system is ropey so it's not charging the battery when the bike is running.

Have a look at the charging diagnostics sticky.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No no. It didn't die on the freeway while riding - It wouldn't fire up after I had shut it off. Sorry, I should have clarified. The point of the highway ride would be that it should have been charged up from that ride, enough to fire it up.

Basically, it doesnt seem to be holding a charge well, enough power to crank it up despite having a new battery.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, well the former is much better than the latter, but 2 batteries seems unlikely. I might take it to my guy over the holidays see if he can diagnose.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you have a multimeter you could see if the battery voltage is dropping even with the ignition off? If so, you could then pull one fuse at a time and see if the drain stops. That way you could at least narrow it down.

EDIT: Actually a better way if you have a multimeter would be to unplug one of the battery cables and use the multimeter to bridge the gap. You can then measure any current directly instead of looking for a volt drop.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The batt tested good with was weird so I swapped the Yuasa out of my Thruxton to see if it would make a difference and it fired right up with perfect cranking. I put the Triple one on the Thrux and nothing turned out. Gotta be a shitty battery. I'm getting another one today and hopefully, that will do the trick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts