Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '02 Sprint's battery died quickly when I recently tried to start it after about 2 weeks of sitting in the garage. I charged the battery - 6 hours on a slow charger, not a tricklecharger. The bike started fine and ran fine. I didn't take it out, expecting to take it for a ride the next day.

Next day with weather in the low 30's, the bike wouldn't start and the battery ran completely down. Realizing that the battery has probably been in there since new, I expected to go ahead and buy a new one. I gave it one last shot, this time with a tricklecharger for a 24 hour period and went out today to start it. The motor turned over quickly and freely but it wouldn't start. The battery seems strong, holding up through at least a half dozen attempts to start it. I have checked fuses, kill switch, fuel, etc. All good.

Does anyone know if running the battery completely down causes problem with the computer? I plan on buying a battery because this one is old enough that it can't hurt but it does seem to have enough juice to start.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
528 Posts
1st.- Double check the kill switch....bikes in neutral..so on

I just put had to put a Battery in my Wife's TT600
it had the same symptoms as your ST, spun over but wouldn`t start. With the new battery it started almost immediately.
seems like when bike battery goes Theres no reviving it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi ElTigre1

I've had the same on my Guzzi from time to time. It seems on an old battery all the charge is used to crank the engine, and none left to spark. This can be checked easily enough by trying to bump start it, surely easy enough If I can bump my guzzler :)

It's just a theory but that what I've found.

The other thing you could try is to rub/scrape some pencil lead (graphite) on the plug tips. If there is power in the HT circuit and it's turning over that will fire it up. An old Cornish car mechanic taught me this and it works every time.

[ This message was edited by: Dylan on 2007-02-19 22:47 ]

·
Registered
852 Posts
The only time I've had trouble with starting my Sprint fouled plugs were the cause. It would crank for however long you pushed the button but wouldn't fire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts