Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im starting my first project on a 66 bonnie, and by starting I mean sorting out the boxes of parts and trying to make some kind of sense of what I have in front of me. So I figured where else to go but here to get some advice.

1. any ideas on busting rust on bolts and screws, if I continue with WD-40, I'll spend all money on that.

There will be more believe me. I know someone will be saying something so pictures will be coming soon, but to be completely honest the only pictures are a pile of parts.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
Hi and welcome

Stuff like Plus Gas and WD take time so don't bust a gut with spanners until you've allowed the stuff to penetrate.

Heat can be your friend - a hot air gun will allow stuff to move so easily but bear in mind the damage that you can cause to bits of the bike (melting) and you (burns)

I have an impact driver but have only had to use it a few times.

I'd buy a parts manual, photocopy and bind it, so you have a Garage Copy. Use it to strip the bits off and put all the bits in self seal bags or sandwich bags. Use your phone or a cheap digital camera as an aide memoir and tick off the part numbers and mark all the bags.

I spent a week bagging and labelling a project that I bought from someone who thought his memory was better than it turned out. Boxes and tins full of bits, no idea where from.

and a proper workshop manual as well. None of that Haynes crud

http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/Repair/63-70-650cc-Repair.pdf

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surprisingly most of the bolts are already off, A few that were still on I let soak for a few and they came apart. I'm trying to find something to soak the bolts in after they come off the bike.

I ordered my manuals today shop and parts book, hopefully they come in soon, cause the engine is just sitting there. But somehow I have restrained myself to leave it along till they come in.

Next question

Frame, there is some surface rust on it, I begun wire brushing that off, my question is what kind of paint should I use to repaint with, is it just spray paint? After the primer.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
I think it's a matter of taste.

You could powder coat it, but you'd need to take the whole frame apart. Some people like rattle cans.

I like coach paint.

I'm about to strip a frame that's been off the road since 76 ( I think) and will use a nylon brush on an angle grinder like this
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83915/Abrasives/Other-Cutting-Grinding/Surface-Preparation/Preparation-Wheel-115mm

then hand finish and use an antirust and coach paint (brush application from here
http://www.cwylde.co.uk/section.php?xSec=24&jssCart=4f68f2d93ca2cc8fedaae94c1124f511

as far as getting rust off bolts, a small wire brush/dremell and scotchbright pads are good.

I've just bought an ultrasonic cleaner but haven't tried it yet

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya I've thought about powder coating. Not sure if I want to spend the money, but I think I will. I'm not much of a painter. Guess I should look into it a bit more. I have a lot more work to do before i get to that point. I'm trying to get everything cleaned and organized.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
ya I've thought about powder coating. Not sure if I want to spend the money, but I think I will. I'm not much of a painter. Guess I should look into it a bit more. I have a lot more work to do before i get to that point. I'm trying to get everything cleaned and organized.
After (more months than you want to hear at the beginning of your project) some time, starting like you are doing... My project fired up for the first time yesterday.

I did as much as possible 'on the cheap' but my deal was not a restoration...

I (successfully and beautifully) painted my frame as follows:
1. Wire wheel on drill motor and sandpaper to remove rust and loose paint.
2. Napa self-etching primer (following directions).
3. Rustoleum Hammered Finish silver (following directions).
4. PJ1 Clear-coat (following directions).

It looks as good as the multi-hundred dollar paint job the auto shop put on my other frame, and maybe just as durable.

I'm very happy with the results of this 'rattle-can' job.

Here's pic -

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looseparts, thanks. I just read your blog on rebuilding your bike. I think I'm going to repaint the frame myself. I don't want to spend a ton on this build and the money I do want to spend I would rather use it on other parts then paint. I also recruited the help of a friend of mine who paints. One task down, well except for the actual work of it. But the idea is there.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
the coach paint and anti rust that I have cost approx £30. A very cheap powder coat deal is (inc blast) £90.

Although it's a fair amount of time, painting it yourself can give really nice results and the advantage is that touching up is easy.

If you'r unsure, then just do a swing arm as a trial but by then you should have bought the paint anyway.

It's all in the preparation, and leaving the paint 48 hrs to go off. No rush,no dust. If you mess it up, rub it down and do it again.

I did a bike at 17 and it still passes for ok 30 years later

·
Registered
802 Posts
WD-40 is not an anti-rust product. It is a water displacement product, intended for chasing water out of wet ignition systems and the like. In fact that's how it got it's name.

;)
It prevents corrosion by displacing moisture. Originally made for NASA and the Lockheed Martin missile program to keep warhead skins from corroding and to lubricate rubber o-rings upon assembly of components with incredibly close allowances. The "40" means the 40th formula attempt.

That being said, I think there are much better products for the same purpose. Great for squeaky door hinges though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts