Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please help me with an answer. Will the street triple start without the the crank shaft sensor or without the speed sensor. I have replaced the wiring harness on mine but it seems as though the replacement crank sensor I got has two wires while the original has 3 wires. So I'm trying to find out what might be the issue before I try and order another sensor. Also is the speed sensor the same as the crank sensor I got two different pictures for each and they look the same sort off.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
crank sensor, the bike will definitely need this to function. I believe it tells the ignition system the crankshaft position via a magnetic signal..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice thanks. What about the pictures are they both crank sensors. The red one was labeled as a speed sensor on ebay but Im not sure thats the right name since it looks so much like the other crank sensor

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
What year bike is that speed sensor from? (red picture)
Looks like the second generation 8-12
If I’m not mistaken the 13+ speed sensors are on the wheels versus the transmission on the previous generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I went ahead and spliced the two pin to the three pin. The bike lights up with gauges and all however there is no power when i press the ignition. I tried to use TuneECU to read any faults but it says cannot detect ECU check cable and so far im at a loss. I wonder what I am missing to get this to start.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What year bike is that speed sensor from? (red picture)
Looks like the second generation 8-12
If I’m not mistaken the 13+ speed sensors are on the wheels versus the transmission on the previous generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The posting said "Eb324 2012 Triumph 675 Street Triple R"

Ato

·
Registered
227 Posts
When you say no power do you mean it doesn't crank?

Without a correct CPS signal the bike will crank but not fire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well all it does when i hit the ignition is a click sound by the relays. I connected the tune ecu using different laptops they all say cannot connect to the ecu turn ignition on and off and check cable. The guages light up. It shows its in neutral (green light), the fuel light is on (the connectors are connected but the tubes arent), the check engine light is on but its just constantly blinking. The kickstand is down and I depress the clutch lever before I hit the ignition.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will a weak battery also cause this issue. I haven't tested the battery yet but will do but want to know if a weak battery will cause the bike not to even crank or to read the ecu?

·
Premium Member
8,638 Posts
A bad battery can be the source of an entire list of woes. It's also the easiest and should be the first step in troubleshooting. If you don't know if your battery is 100%, the first thing you should do is change it for one that is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so the battery didnt do much. changed it still nothing. fuel pump doesn't prime. No power to the starter button, the relay still clicks when i flick the kill switch on and off. I also bought a new cable but tuneecu still says it cannot access the ECU. I am at a loss as to whats happening. The oil light, neutral light, fuel light come on and stay on, however, the check engine light flickers/blinks on and off rapidly. I dont know what that means though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you been able to use tuneecu on this bike before or is this the first time.
Try having the cable plugged in and attached to the computer then load up tuneecu and see if that loads.
Is the jump plug connected under the seat or does it have a imobiliser in that plug. Im not sure if your model has this plug you will need to check wiring diagram if you have one.
Also make sure your light fuses are in to start the bike.

I hope this helps

Mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the tuneecu worked the first day with the harness that was in the bike which had been cut up some many times and frankensteined that the check engine light was on and the bike run rough. After I got the replacement wiring harness and ecu installed, the tuneecu is no longer working and the bike wont start. The only issue I had envisioned was with the crankshaft sensor which I noticed after the fact that the plus was a three wire/pin and the replacement one I got for the new harness was a two wire/pin. I there decided to try and splice the two pink connector to the three pin leaving out one of the wires since I the connector with that came with the new two pin was to small to fit on the engine block. So decided to lease the original and splice the new.

I have tried the method you mentioned about the cable plugged in and it yielded no results. I will do a search on the jump plug after work today. There is also no immobilizer. Finally I took out the light fuses for the tuneecu and but I dont think the bike started with them even in. The fuel pump does not even prime and I have tested the pump so I know its working. I believe if the pump isnt priming the bike wont start. But I will will update you on what i find.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It does have the jump plug and the wires that form a closed loop are intact in. I believe this is what you mean from the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Okay will do. Also do I need the display/gauges to match the new wiring? Just wondering since I have read about some bikes not starting because of gauges not being compatible. FYI the old wiring I believe is a daytona harness. The ECU on that harness is a 2011 Keihin. The new harness I have is a 2013-16 675 R with the ECU being a 2014 ECU which came of a 2015 675 R. attached

·
Registered
8 Posts
Normally they are matched you’d need to check the wiring diagram against the old harness to see what they bypassed. I have a similar issue with my bike and I’m going through the same process. If I figure mine out I’ll let you know what fixed it. There is a few skilled guys here who could help you with the ecu and wiring issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. Ill just go ahead and get the matching ECU just to be on the safe side then.

Ato

1 - 20 of 23 Posts