Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some guidance on issues I'm having with my 02 thunderbird. When I bought it, it had been sitting in a garage for 3 years untouched. I took the carbs off and cleaned them out twice. Changed all the fliuds, changed the plugs, and put in a new battery. I got her running pretty smooth and had been riding it most of the summer. Here's the problem. If I run the bike every few days It's fine. But if I leave the bike sitting for over a week or so it's very reluctant to start and sometimes I have to use starting fluid to get it fired up. Once it gets warmed up it's fine again. The main jets and pilot jets seem clear to me and I cleaned out the carbs twice! (First time didnt seem to do the trick)
Any idea what could be causing the issue? I figure now is the time take it apart since I wont be riding til it warms up outside.
Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I usually try to start it on full choke. Sometimes I'll move the choke lever as I try to start it and it seems to do the trick. That or bliping the throttle. Are these bikes typically this difficult to start when it's cold or they've been sitting?

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Have you checked the electrical system beyond the battery? If something is slowly draining power, that would match your symptoms.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked the electrical system beyond the battery? If something is slowly draining power, that would match your symptoms.
I haven't done any physical tests on the electrical system but I do leave a battery tender on the bike when it's not in use. Feels like it has plenty of juice to get started.
I guess I'll just pull the carbs again and clean them one more time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts