Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
And all I know is right now I just want to get back on the road. I've missed all of this riding season so far waiting on new tires, then interrupted with the emergency hernia surgery, the fuel pump, and now waiting on new connectors. I am ready to get back to knees in the breeze

·
Registered
197 Posts
And all I know is right now I just want to get back on the road. I've missed all of this riding season so far waiting on new tires, then interrupted with the emergency hernia surgery, the fuel pump, and now waiting on new connectors. I am ready to get back to knees in the breeze
The RS is calling you....ride me ride me. Throw your legs over my little waist, and twist my throttle, i will show you a good time..🤣👍

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Great thread! I only now discovered it as HenryL linked to it in my own troubleshooting thread about the same/similar issue. I've been checking spark plugs, valve clearance, vacuum hoses (replaced last year), TBS, injector o-rings (have some new ones ordered), fuel filter (replaced yesterday), and I've finally been wondering about the fuel pump. I can hear it turn on (a little whine - sign of wear/age?). Cold starts take a long time, or multiple attempts, warm starts are good and engine pulls strong at speed. The explanation of the pump not being able to prime yet being able to run once warmed explains so much - really good info!

@el loco Which pump model did you buy?

UPDATE: I used their search engine to find the correct one.

Reactions: UKTRIUMPHGUY

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That is the one I bought. Installation was super easy.
Thanks! This thread has the info I was looking for weeks ago ... hopefully this will be the game changer. My bike as 45K on it, so all the work leading up this was good to do in any case. :)

Reactions: UKTRIUMPHGUY

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Small update on this, seems like I'm never going to get back on 2 wheels.

But I got the fuel fittings in and of course the old ones kinda disintegrated when trying to remover them. Well one came out clean and the other not so. Threads all filled up with gunk and no matter what I tried I couldn't get it cleaned out. I saw in here that it was a 1/4 BPST .

Oh boy I knew that would be a challenge but I went out the next day and started with my general suppliers and they all pointed me to this place in town called Technology sales (Home - TechSales). Called them and they did some digging and she called me back and said how many do you want? Apparently they had a bunch of them in stock. Went and picked up the tap, $40

The threads were so full of crap I couldn't even get the tap started. Next day I went out to Lowes and picked up some brass wire brushes for my rotary tool (I have burnt up too many Dremals so I use a Milwaukee rotary tool). Any way the brass wire wheel didn't quite fit in the hole but it did wear down and fit in there and cleaned the threads perfect. I ran the tap through it just to make sure and damn if it didn't work out perfect.

Bought the new fuel line last night and hope to get it all back together tonight. BTW used yellow teflon tape on the threads.

Short note the brass wire wheel on the rotary tool is perfect for cleaning out these threads. Probably could have done it without the $40 tap but there it is.

Chad

·
Registered
197 Posts
Small update on this, seems like I'm never going to get back on 2 wheels.

But I got the fuel fittings in and of course the old ones kinda disintegrated when trying to remover them. Well one came out clean and the other not so. Threads all filled up with gunk and no matter what I tried I couldn't get it cleaned out. I saw in here that it was a 1/4 BPST .

Oh boy I knew that would be a challenge but I went out the next day and started with my general suppliers and they all pointed me to this place in town called Technology sales (Home - TechSales). Called them and they did some digging and she called me back and said how many do you want? Apparently they had a bunch of them in stock. Went and picked up the tap, $40

The threads were so full of crap I couldn't even get the tap started. Next day I went out to Lowes and picked up some brass wire brushes for my rotary tool (I have burnt up too many Dremals so I use a Milwaukee rotary tool). Any way the brass wire wheel didn't quite fit in the hole but it did wear down and fit in there and cleaned the threads perfect. I ran the tap through it just to make sure and damn if it didn't work out perfect.

Bought the new fuel line last night and hope to get it all back together tonight. BTW used yellow teflon tape on the threads.

Short note the brass wire wheel on the rotary tool is perfect for cleaning out these threads. Probably could have done it without the $40 tap but there it is.

Chad
be careful the brass bristles don't break off and go inside the fuel connectors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I knew there would be debris in there so I broke the rules and once done, cleaned it out with a shop vac.

Got it back on today and it started. Wasn't exactly perfect, had a little backfire. Noticed the return line was pinched under the tank. Repositioned it and it ran fine. Tomorrow I will put it's clothes back on and take it for a test ride.

Chad

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Good to see you're, likely, up and running.
Your mention of teflon tape reminded me that I used pipe tape when I installed that fitting. After a 2-3 years the tape disintegrated and started leaking. A fellow member recommended using fuel resistant goop, whose name I don't recall. It did the trick. But maybe yellow tape is specifically for situations like this?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Well I agree w/ Chickenstrip here. I don't use teflon tape anywhere now. Too many leaks w/ them. I just used silicon fuel resistant past.
For plumbing I use Oakum but that's another story

21 - 32 of 32 Posts