Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search and didn't see anything like the problem that I have. When I go to start the '12 Bonny it just hits once. It doesn't crank very much at all. When I turn the key off then back on I get the same thing but when I pull the in richener out on click it starts right up. Am I the only one or has anyone else had this issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got the same problem and have not taken it back for warranty yet. There is no rhyme or reason when they act up. It happens whenever the bike feels like doing it. Please let me know what the dealer finds and I will do the same when repaired.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Four things:

Are you allowing the system to prime or pressurise before hitting the button?

Check your battery terminals for tightness.

Is the bike used regularly over reasonable distances to ensure the battery is kept charged?. EFI bike battery problems can result from lack of use and slow town running and short runs.

Are you using the starting procedure as stated in the handbook?:

• If the engine is cold, pull out the choke, noting the following: Above 25°C air temperature, pull out the choke to the first position. Below 25°C air temperature, pull out the
choke fully.

If the engine is partly warm, pull out the choke to the first position.

• Leaving the throttle completely closed, push the starter button until the engine starts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can run from a full tank of gas to needing fuel without shutting the bike down wich is about 230 KMS. After refuelling and try to start, it will not crank. Usually takes on the third try. It's never let me down YET!

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I had a similar problem with starting my 2012 Bonnie.
It wouldn't crank on the first attempt, but always fired up on the second.
Forchetto wrote a great post about the starter relay.
I unplugged mine and plugged it back in (some people say to bend the relay pins a bit to make better contact).
Since I've done this I have not had a problem, it could be coincidence but so far so good.
Try it, it's free and takes a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I had a similar problem with starting my 2012 Bonnie.
It wouldn't crank on the first attempt, but always fired up on the second.
Forchetto wrote a great post about the starter relay.
I unplugged mine and plugged it back in (some people say to bend the relay pins a bit to make better contact).
Since I've done this I have not had a problem, it could be coincidence but so far so good.
Try it, it's free and takes a few minutes.
Oh yes, that was on this thread about a similar problem:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/219158-bonneville-efi-wont-start.html

First link on post 8 shows you how to bypass the starter relay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts