Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
@ Thruxcapacitor is that 20 mpg when fully loaded? That would go a long way in in reducing the actual cost of ownership over my E-350.
I get that mileage on average. Now i wouldn't say its fully loaded but that includes a couple ladders, a few hundred lbs of tools, the shelves are full, but not with very heavy supplies. If I drive the speed limit i have seen my average hit 22, usually it sits around 19-20mpg. Highway speeds and above actually are worse for the mpg. The van is geared more for speeds in the 35-55mph range, but i believe there is a transmission option if you order the truck. And keep in mind, a loaded sprinter is probably equivalent to a fully loaded van. There is a ton of space in there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No one, including the OP hs even discussed the size/volume/weight of whatever is being carried. That should be a consideration. If you are hauling something the size of a shoe box (example) you probably don't need a Suburban.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
The business has certain risks Cat, insider knowledge will be one of them to target it. The fact the driver needs to be armed increases it. The driver will also need to take rest stops and the van will be vulnerable unoccupied. Having a low discreet profile which means dispensing with some security of the van itself isn't always going to work if your business becomes known.

Hauling around a refrigerator suggests something perishable, keep away from body parts ! :D

Good luck with the business, remember these days the best way to start a small business is to first start with a big one ! ;)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Cat, if you're looking to be discreet I'd lean more towards the Tahoe/Suburban, just because there are so many of them on the road.
The Transit vans are nice, but they're relatively rare on this side of the pond. That might draw more attention to it. Now, if you were in the UK, you could just paint it like this and nobody'd pay any attention to it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregwake/2221120207/ :)
Good luck with your new venture.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Get down...

So....what kind of things are you transferring?
I drove an armed security van thing transferring bank documents and checks back and forth in Florida for a while, mostly put up in pallets but my van did have a cage inside, exterior locking bars on all doors and seals placed by sender and removed by reciever.
Other loads consisted of non secure paperwork, again palleted, and transferred from one location to the other.
Some of the other loads, believe it or not, were loads of dyalasis chemicals used for some sort of home use and were strictly time controlled (delivered in a specific time span) and had to be signed for by the reciever.(PIA)
Couldn't tell you exactly what the paperwork stuff was but had something to do with a central storage facility and mortgages/loan papers and such like.
Delivery was usually into a controlled sally port and I had to remain in the vehicle while it was unloaded/loaded.
It would seem that you are entering into some sort of courier service which, in my experience at least, is not a great money maker by the time you consider expenses, insurance and time spent on the road but hey, give it a go, best of luck with your venture...

Another thought would be to fly the stuff around, if time is of the essence not to mention security, no one is going to pull you over at 12,000 feet, nor can they follow you very easily and waylay you at a gas or food stop. Just sayin'

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
I vote for ...

... an Übermom in an Escalade. It would fit right in around here, not be noticed at all. I see dozens of them lined up every day at 3pm in front of the private schools. And no one would dare mess with her. :p

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
You could also opt to come to some arrangement with a rental company and change the van type regularly. It may also be a good way to start, that way you're not putting in too much money into the business initially to see if it works out.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
... an Übermom in an Escalade. It would fit right in around here, not be noticed at all. I see dozens of them lined up every day at 3pm in front of the private schools. And no one would dare mess with her. :p
If I were the driver, I fear the goatee would be a bit of a giveaway if I tried to pass myself off as a Übermom in an Escalade. On second thought, where I live, I'd blend right in even with a goatee. :D:rolleyes:

Tbirdnz,

That's wise advice.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts