Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems to take 3-4 secs, even when warm, then idle is so low, throttle blip needed for normal idle.
120 mi. on ode

the 1600 test ride bike, was up the first 1/2 sec
of starter. But, even at the dealer, the red one
was slow to fire. Ring any bells? Happening to anyone?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I certainly trust your advice. Confusing me is the idea that the 1700 is supposed to have it's own tune map. Isn't it thought to run poorly with a TOR?

"The 1700 already has it's own tune and the tors tune would not only do it no good, it would probably run like [email protected] or maybe not at all. That's for those with the 1600." dazco,06-30-2010

·
Registered
430 Posts
seems to take 3-4 secs, even when warm, then idle is so low, throttle blip needed for normal idle.
120 mi. on ode

the 1600 test ride bike, was up the first 1/2 sec
of starter. But, even at the dealer, the red one
was slow to fire. Ring any bells? Happening to anyone?
with only 120 miles on it the engine will still be very tight, it will take a bit of time for everything to loosen up, most people agree this bike gets better with more millage, it also may need a an adaptions cycle as it sound like your TP may not have fully adapted yet, search for 12 minute tune on the forum and perform one ;)

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
oops...spaced on the 1700 bit. But i would think they probably do have a tors and a non tors tune for the BB kit since they sell the bikes now with BB installed and with stock pipes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I see...1600 TOR = better than stock. 1700 TOR (if exists) could also make a better tune for a 1700's stock pipes. hmmm, nteresting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My 1600 has that problem, starting "hot." When starting "cold" it turns over without a hitch. But if I park it long enough to, say, fuel it, restarting is hard and I need to give it throttle to keep it from dying.

No word on whether this continues past 500 mile tuneup because I took it straight home from there.

The service tech at the dealer told me that the T-bird does not like ethanol and I should avoid higher-ethanol flavors of gas (and therefore, skip Holiday stations with their "blue earth" gas, which has a higher proprortion of ethanol). I was also advised to start fueling her up with mid-grade (89 octane) gasoline.

Incidental: I also seem to have a sticky speedometer when the temperature gets hot, but we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try the "normal 12 minute adaption routine", reminded by MadAngler. It seems to have worked for me and is specified in the service manual for "Forcing adaption to take place." Idle for 12 minutes -after- the fan comes on; from Cold Start; "WITHOUT TOUCHING THE THROTTLE."

·
Registered
356 Posts
Incidental: I also seem to have a sticky speedometer when the temperature gets hot, but we'll see how that goes.
Definitely start taking pictures of your speedometer sticking... get a history going, and get it looked at. It took me about a month of experimentation and stuff before I was finally able to get my speedometer replaced. Once it was replaced, I have yet to have a problem, and I have put another thousand miles on the bike since the replacement.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Triumph off road tuning downloads. It took me a while to cipher that one, I tell you what.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Idle for 12 minutes -after- the fan comes on; from Cold Start; "WITHOUT TOUCHING THE THROTTLE."
So, just to make sure, I re-did this and tested the hot start problem again.

73 deg. ambient temp. took 14 minutes for the fan to even come on to start the test. Glad to say success happened. All the hot starting I could come up with today, including stalling intentionally or not so much, up to 2000 ft and parked, etc., seemed no different than cold.

za, za, za....and Houston, we have ignition.

Thank you, MadAngler for this tip.

·
Registered
59 Posts
OK I searched for the 12 min tune and found nothing. Is it just start the bike, don't touch the trottle, wait until the fan kicks in, and your done?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fan first and after an additional 12 minutes, you're done.

It took 14 mins for my fan to start. It ran for less than 1 min.
So, you have to be there and start your timer when the fan comes on. PM me if you need the page number in the manual.

·
Registered
109 Posts
An update:

The service guys at Motoprimo (my dealer) talked to Triumph's USA boys and there is a known issue with T-birds starting when hot. Apparently there's an O-ring which swells when heated and restricts the fuel intake, apparently reducing the fuel pressure.

Triumph has a fix for this and my dealer has ordered the replacement O-ring to resolve this issue.

Thought you other 'Bird owners might like a heads-up on this one.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Triumph off road tuning downloads. It took me a while to cipher that one, I tell you what.
lol.............

Correction please, TOR's = Triumph Off-Road; as in "closed coarse" (not trail riding either); as the pipes do not meet certain noise and EPA polution requirements in some states. It is a Triumph accessory description for the louder (less restrictive) pipes.

The "down load" is the introduction of a different computer program to the ECU (engine management system) to accomodate a leaner mixture caused by de-restricting exhaust pipes and/or allowing it to breathe better with competition air filters. In summary; when you buy TOR Pipes, you also have to get the $40.00 download programed into your bike via the plug under the left side body cover.

Years ago, I thought it meant "tit obsessed retard". I then understood who I really was. :rolleyes: Thank you Triumph!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have 11,000 on my Tbird now and it starts great warm and cold. However, when I first got the bike it would occasionally start hard. Two points here:

1. Since mine hasn't started hard since the early days, I don't think hard starting is a characteristic of the bike
  2. Something changed along the way - probably the adaptation that the 12 minute tune forces

·
Registered
123 Posts
Try the "normal 12 minute adaption routine", reminded by MadAngler. It seems to have worked for me and is specified in the service manual for "Forcing adaption to take place." Idle for 12 minutes -after- the fan comes on; from Cold Start; "WITHOUT TOUCHING THE THROTTLE."
I'm sorry, I'm not getting this. How exactly does this fix a hard "hot" start issue? What is "adaption"?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts