Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, my 2001 Bonneville tries to start when i turn the key on, even with the engine cutoff switch in the off position and without pressing the starter button. We have tested the continuity of the starter button which appears to be in order. I have changed the solenoid to no avail... any other ideas of what it could be?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
hey everyone, my 2001 Bonneville tries to start when i turn the key on, even with the engine cutoff switch in the off position and without pressing the starter button. We have tested the continuity of the starter button which appears to be in order. I have changed the solenoid to no avail... any other ideas of what it could be?
Sounds like you have water in the starter relay (headlight cutout relay). The job of this relay is to divert power from the headlight to the starter solenoid when the start button is pressed. It is well known for being a sponge. The rubber holder also perishes and breaks. Any 5 pin auto relay of the same type will replace it.

The relay is the left most of the three under the left side panel.

Reactions: Dwhite0729

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Agree with Ripper. Check the starter relay first (not the solenoid), it's either got water inside it or the contacts are stuck.

Check by pulling it out (it's an easy plug-in part) and seeing if the starter no longer operates.

If the effect stops, lever off the plastic cover with a penknife or small driver and dry it out if wet, or operate the contacts by hand to check that they're not welded together. What often happens is that the rubber support breaks and the relay hangs upside down by its cables. Water from the road or from washing then find its way inside easily.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are awesome! That's what it was. Pulled the old relay, and went up the to local auto parts store to match up a replacement. Put new one on and did the trick! Thanks for all the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts