Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot about the sprag on these pages, but so far nothing if the thing gets better or worse when the engine is hot or cold, and whether thicker or thinner oil makes any difference. Do these things affect the 'bandit', or will it always fail once it's gone bad?

·
Registered
411 Posts
The weather could in theory play a part, in as much as theoil would be thick so it takes more effort to crank. But in reality the battery is the key, a strong battery means the torque from the starter never allows the sprag to drag the chain or flex it. l know thats not the correct term but you know what l mean. Even on a cold day a strong battery spins the chain up to the correct torque to fire it up. My one went on a hot afternoon after a long run through Germany but with a battery with a bad cell. it kicked back hence buggered sprag!.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that idirectly answered the question I tried to ask; if a bad sprag can for instance work when warm but slip when cold - or the opposite. By the sound of your reply, it seems that once it's gone, it's gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts