Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks

I have got one of those intermittent electrical problems.:(Sometimes the bike cranks when you press the start button and sometimes she don't. It does the full diagnostic thing everytime the ignition and kill switch are turned on.

It hasn't left me stranded yet, but I think it may soon if I don't fix it.

I have cleaned up the contacts on the starter button and checked the continuity through to the connector, all is good when the button is pressed.

That leaves the starter relay and starter solenoid to check out next.

Anyone out there had any issues with these?:confused:

I have done a search for those that get excited about doing searches first.

Thanks

Ralphus

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Try the kill switch connectors and the side stand switch too. :)

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Try STC's advice and hose down the kickstand switch and there could be some corrosion in the kill button and that area. I almost look at this as preventative maintenance.

You know Steven, I'll always think of you as the Black Adder:D

·
Registered
554 Posts
Also check and clean the ground leads for the battery and engine and make sure they are mounted firmly.
The starter engine is using a lot of power and a poor ground lead will lower the usable power considerably.

Getting a new starter relay probably couldn't hurt either, don't know the price but if it isn't a special design they are usually pretty cheap.

All assuming you got a fresh battery of course.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try STC's advice and hose down the kickstand switch and there could be some corrosion in the kill button and that area. I almost look at this as preventative maintenance.
Thanks for your help

I'll have a look at the kickstand switch, although it should not make any difference if the clutch lever is pulled and the engine is in neutral.

It definitely isn't the kill switch, the dash panel does its usual gymnastics at start up when the kill switch is flicked.

I think I will buy another relay, I need another 5 pin relay for another job anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its not a problem with the clutch switch - if the switch wasn't working the starter relay wouldn't click. You can prove this by pressing the starter button with the clutch out - no click. Clutch in - click.

The sidestand switch is immaterial - the bike will normally start with the sidestand up. The sidestand switch causes the engine to cut out when a gear is selected and the stand is down.

Suggest by-passing the solenoid with jump leads to eliminate a starter motor problem. Red lead battery +ve to nut on underside of starter.
Black lead batt -ve to earthing on frame

If the starter turns try tapping the solenoid to free it.

Also I believe the solenoid earths through the com in the starter and if the brushes are not making a good contact it wont earth and there for won't click over.

I've got this same problem - just not had time to do anything about it. I changed the battery and the problem still exists.

I'd be very interested to hear your solution when you solve the mystery.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem has disappeared for the moment. Typical when you attempt to fault find a problem like this.

I have bought another starter relay for $5 from a Triumph wrecker, yet to fit it up.

Had a look at the circuit diagram, you can tell if the starter relay is not working as it should turn the lights out when the starter button is pushed. The other possibility is the starter relay coil is earthed via the ECM.

I hope to have another crack at it this weekend.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be the clutch switch
I think you are on the money with the clutch switch.;)

I noticed the headlights were not turning off when the starter button was pressed indicating that there is an issue with the starter relay coil not being energised. The problem rests in the relay or the ECM.

I swapped the relay but the problem still exists. So I don't believe the relay is the issue.

The circuit diagram has one side of the starter relay coil going to the ECM (B24). I am guessing that it finds its way to earth via the clutch switch which has one wire going to the ECM (A25) and one to earth.

Last time the bike did not start, I held the starter button down and jiggled the clutch lever and guess what? It fired up

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Seen the problem before. The switch is closed when you pull the lever. Just link it out for now. It's one of those added safety features that you didn't know you needed. Glad you sorted it.:)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Proved to be the clutch switch

Adjusted the clutch lever play to 2-3mm as per the manual which has made the clutch plunger switch move in further.

I thought about pulling the switch out and having a good look at it. It is not very clear how it is assembled so I thought best to leave it alone rather than trash it in the pursuit of knowledge.

So far so good, starts first time every time. Can't believe the switch is that sensitive to cable adjustment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bonnie Speedmaster , Starting prob

Ok , piggybacking extra front lighting on the headlight wires causes the fuse to pop ( makes sense , but took 30 min to do so = odd ) what truly is strange > It caused the Starter to behave as if the relay was bad : no start , mild clicking . Fuse box has separate fuses for starter relay and Ignition ( neither blown ). Puzzling , but eh , replace fuse = starts right up ,,, and run wiring to unused fuse in pnl.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts