Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my buddy's 2000 Legend over to get the state inspection sticker tonight, and I had to turn over to reserve on the way. When I first started it today, it took some cranking and the enrichment lever to get it to fire. I am not used to that, as my 99 Legend literally starts instantly with no enrichment lever at all. The 2000 needs enrichment even in warm weather, and then some liberal throttle to keep it going until warmed up. Now the bike only has 5400 miles on it, but when my friend bought it last weekend from the original owner, he was shown through the "steps" to get it started as I have described. To summarize, this bike has apparently had some cranking to get it running even new from the dealer. Tonight I noticed that every time I shut the bike off there was the same sound of the starter occurring just as the engine died. Has anyone else heard this upon shutdown, and is it a symptom that developed into something later on? By the way, I do intend to strip down his carbs and check the floats, as I'll bet they're wrong, just as mine were from the factory. Even when I had mine all stock, it always started instantly, so I know these bikes are capable of tuning correctly.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mate that bike sounds like it is way out of tune. It should start a bit easier. Having said that mine has made the starter noise on switch off since it was new. My explanation is that when the engine shuts down it turns slightly backwards and engages the starter clutch, which is only a complicated ratchet after all. I have done over 143,000 klms on mine and no starter clutch issues. I replaced the starter itself at 90 odd thouseand as it stuffed the bearings, once I replaced them and and the brushes, a few weeks later the gear on the end stripped, I replaced the starter as a unit then. Luckily I found a good second hand one. Another fifty thou on it still makes the starter noise on switch off.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Woodsie! That eases my mind a bit. Trust me, when I am done tuning his bike, it will purr like a kitten:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts