Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Daytona 955i. After standing for a few months it seems that my starter motor has jammed. Battery is fully charged, fuel pump primes and the solenoid clicks, but starter doesn't turn. A bump start will probably get it going, but the starter probably needs replacing.
Is it an easy job?
Any recommendations for a replacement please?
Do all model years use the same starter?
Is this any good?
Arrowhead Starter Motor

·
Registered
50 Posts
I suggest that you first try and start with the following procedure: All switches off, select neutral, turn key on, turn killer switch on, press starter button and while down pull clutch in. This may help provide power to starter. I have a Haynes manual for '97-00 with the 955cc engines covered in it. May not be the same as your 04 but if you send me your email I will scan the two pages on the starter and send them to you. Looks fairly straight forward within these years mentioned. Also you can go to Bike Bandit to determine if starters are the same through the range of years.
[email protected]

·
Registered
252 Posts
redmelons, are you in the UK or overseas?
Maybe try World of Triumph to check parts. You will need the last 6 digits of the frame number to confirm model. The site is great to get part numbers etc.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suggest that you first try and start with the following procedure: All switches off, select neutral, turn key on, turn killer switch on, press starter button and while down pull clutch in. This may help provide power to starter. I have a Haynes manual for '97-00 with the 955cc engines covered in it. May not be the same as your 04 but if you send me your email I will scan the two pages on the starter and send them to you. Looks fairly straight forward within these years mentioned. Also you can go to Bike Bandit to determine if starters are the same through the range of years.
[email protected]
Thanks. Is there any other way to start the bike? :)
Cheers, I have PDFs of the Haynes and Triumph manuals. Having removed the fairing side panels, it's impossible to even see the starter from the left hand side, where it would have to be withdrawn, so I'm hoping it can be reached from above.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
redmelons, are you in the UK or overseas?
Maybe try World of Triumph to check parts. You will need the last 6 digits of the frame number to confirm model. The site is great to get part numbers etc.
Hi, I'm in the UK. It's a 2006 model, which World of Triumph covers by 'DAYTONA 955i from VIN: 132513'. Even then it lists two starter motors, T1310595 (unavailable) and T1311118. I hope it's the available one :)
If I tap on the starter it will turn over once, then stop. Tap again and it turns over again. So I'm assuming the brushes are worn or sticking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks. Is there any other way to start the bike? :)

Yes there is! Most people depress the clutch first and then hit the starter button. I remember a thread many years ago that said this makes a big difference due to voltage and I've always used this method on my T595.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most people depress the clutch first and then hit the starter button
Ah, sorry, I'm missed that part of your post. I've just tried it with pressing the starter and then pulling the clutch in. It did turn over once but then won't move again. I'm pretty sure the brushes are sticking.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The starter is accessible from above. This is a picture of my 2003 with the tank off but air box still in place. The starter motor is visible with a red replacement heavy guage cable i fitted. It is retained by just two bolts at the rear of it's body. I've done brushes on both my T300s but not on my T5/955i. It is a very dirty (carbon dust) but satisfying job to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts