Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of us know that a poorly charged battery during start up is the way to kill a sprag clutch. My '98 Sprint 900 was not cranking over at full speed. It has a one month old AGM fully charged battery. So why is the cranking speed slow? I swapped out another used starter motor, still cranking slower than it should. I swapped out the cable going from the stater solenoid to the starter, nope still the same. I have a couple of extra starter solenoids so yesterday I decided to swap out the solenoid. Eureka, it is now good. That old solenoid went into the trash. So why the extra parts on hand? I used to look on Ebay for super good deals on parts. I've even built a few Trophys and this Sprint from Ebay parts. If you need some part send me a PM.
Greg

·
Registered
119 Posts
A few years ago my son and his wife borrowed my Trident for a couple of hours. When they returned, he hit the kill switch and the engine died but the starter kept it cranking over. I had to disconnect battery to get it to stop. Took off the solenoid, shook it a few times, put it back on and its been fine ever since. I said my son must have done something wrong but he said no, the bike is crap. Never borrowed it again!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not sure I understand how the solenoid was the problem? I thought it was just basically a switch? Further knowledge sought pls...
[/QUOTE
Not sure I understand how the solenoid was the problem? I thought it was just basically a switch? Further knowledge sought pls...
I dunno, messed up with the choke or something and cranked it so much that the solenoid stuck.When it cooled, a good shake was all it needed. Never happened for me

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Adrian1, Yeah I thought the solenoid was a high current switch also. Kind of like a light switch, it is either on or off. Not somewhere in-between. I haven't seen a light switch turn on and the lights were dimmer than they were supposed to be. Maybe I should cut part that old solenoid and see how it works. I'm guessing there is an electromagnet inside and the contacts for the big current became worn out or corroded inside.
Greg

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Vaporlock, The starter motor does has brushes, maybe they are worn out. Are you still in Europe? I have 1 or 2 extra starter motors. I now live in Northern Arizona.
Greg
Hey Greg,
Yes, in Spain at the moment. I do have a spare starter motor but the bike is in Germany. I will get on with it in January and have a look if the brushes on this one are worn.
Many thanks for your offer though it is appreciated.

V

1 - 10 of 10 Posts