Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the front and rear brakes on my 98 T595 trying to get it ready for sale, also replaced the battery, brand new today, charged ready to go. Put in the battery and the starter sounds like it is just spinning, not engaging at all. The dead battery in it before(this morning) at least tried to crank it. THe only thing it might be, is my the person who was helping me tried to attach the positive lead first and we got a spark, I dont know if that could have shorted it, but every time i hit the start just a whirring sound is produced. I know what the forums say, but I find it hard to believe that spark could do me in the day before a sale. This happen to anyone before after a new battery? I have it on the tender again so well see in a few hours. Its not the side stand switch, ive tried it in neutral and other gears, tried rolling it backwards. The only things i have not tried are replacing the starter or solenoid or jumping the relay. (I had a relay problem on my APrilia...) I have bad luck with bikes it seems. Hit me up with any suggestions. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
I want to be wrong about this, but it sounds like the sprag clutch fragged. This happens when the battery is low and the engine starts yet the sprag can't disengage. This is a split cases chore on the '98.

Try turning the engine by pushing in gear and hit the starter again.

Brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping that was not the case, it wanted to work this morning before the new batt thats why I find it so hard to believe...I think its mad at me for trying to sell it but who knows, Ill try it in the morning hopefully shell turn over. Do you think I could jump it by the relay or is that not the problem at all. Im a novice, is this starter within the realm of possibility for me to fix or replace? I think my next bike should be new and under warranty, or find a closer triumph dealer. Thanks for your imput.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on starter

Decided to pull the fuse box (Triumph OK) behind battery, found that the 40amp "MAIN FUSE" is blown. Tried to put in a new one, started to spark as well, Left it out and it still did the spin thing. Would this have anything to do with my problem? If its an old blown, I never had other problems. Im going to o some research but was excited and decided to post first. Could there be a bad ground or crossed wire? Or did I somehow screw up the brakes? No wires were involved....? Illl call up the Triumph dealer in Merrimack in the AM.

Another question, althoough i beleive its impossible that i put the battery in backward, if i did, would this problem arise? The wires are only long enough for it to go in one way, red+ black- checks out.

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't understand how the bike is getting any power without the main fuse blown..........

Something is definitely not right there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think anything could have to do with the EverStart battery I purchased at Walmart?

for the previous topic, allow me to try and be less confusing. That 40amp fuse known as the "main fuse" is blown, Im not sure if it was blown before and thats why my bike wouldnt hold a charge, the Triumph dealer told me to get a new battery so I listened. Now the fuse keeps blowing when i try to put in a new one with the key off because its hardwired to the battery system I guess. I suppose that it is reasonable to beleive that "main fuse" has nothing to do with the bike wanting to start or hold a charge. But from what ive found the "main fuse" has something to do with the alternator/starting system but that doesnt explain why it keeps blowing unless the battery is F*d up.

I blame walmart

·
Registered
18 Posts
main fuse blown, sparks when you replace it...start simple and progress forward from there. Did you say there was some one else helping you? Did you ask that person exactly what they did? It's not the battery, I thinks it's the way you hooked it up. Take it out and start over. Follow the positive wire back from the battery to the starter and alternator, make sure it's not crossed, make sure the insulation is sound. Do the same for the Negative wire. Any exposed wire should be a tip off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
when you complete the connection to the battery it's normal for there to be a small spark. A big one means something is not grounded or you are short circuiting.

·
Super Moderator
22,198 Posts
It does sound like you have battery reversed
That would explain the fuse blowing and also the starter just spinning (runnning in reverse, so won't engage the sprag)

*On your bike the positive should be on the left side of bike and the -ve on the right (right & left defined as you sit on the bike looking forward)

Fuse #7 (the 40A) is only between the alternator and the battery - it does not inhibit any power to the rest of the bike.

Best hope nothing serious got damaged by reverse connection - like ECM!

* Don't take the terminal annotation as mentioned above as point of fact - I believe there was some change at one point and there were extensions fitted to the battery cables on this model, so potentially the cable could reach either side. Validate affirmatively which is the positive & which is the negative.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just because the battery fits doesnt mean it's right! Different batteries can have the poles reversed.

Negative is earth, pole should be marked on the battery. Typically a black wire, sometimes uninsulated.
Positive is live; typically a red wire, always insulated.

Sounds like this is the first time you've done something like this? Take your time, read the manual, make sure you have the right tools and check twice before you do anything!

Have you got a multimeter? Check the battery; should show a positive voltage when connected red lead to positive, black to negative on the battery. (If this is wrong then you can sue walmart/whoever). Leave the fuse out, connect the battery and check the voltage between the battery side of the fuse holder (use the red probe) and the frame; again should be a positive voltage). If all this checks out then check for continuity (resistance) between the loom side of the fuse holder and the frame; there should NOT be continuity. If there is then there is a short in the loom somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
22,198 Posts
Apparently not - said it started right up after he corrected the connections.
I'm replying with the outcome since not sure if OP will be back - this thread comprises his entire contribution of posts and he had potential buyers arriving yesterday (that's not intended to sound like a slight CajunMoose - just reading tea-leaves)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts